NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Thursday, April 30, 2009

LLP: April 2009 Wrap Up



So, let's see how I did for my first official month of my Lifetime Learning Project:


Books To Read:

Day by Elie Wiesel (My Thoughts)
Survival In Auschwitz by Primo Levi (My Thoughts)
The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Stone
Dangerous Liaisons by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos
Pere Goriot by Honore de Balzac
Blindness by Jose Saragamo
The Heart of the Matter by Graham Greene (My Thoughts)
Managing Your Own Learning by James R. and Adelaide B. Davis
How to Read a Poem: And Fall in Love with Poetry by Edward Hirsch (My Thoughts)
Book III of The Faerie Queene by Edmund Spencer
Book IV of The Faerie Queene by Edmund Spencer

Listen to Teaching Company Lectures on:

Tristam Shandy
Dangerous Liaisons
Pere Goriot
Wuthering Heights
Moby Dick

Text Chapters To Read:

The Cambridge Introduction to Narrative
Chapter 3 (My Thoughts)
Chapter 4 (My Thoughts)
Chapter 5 (My Thoughts)
Chapter 6 (My Thoughts)
Chapter 7 (My Thoughts)

Writing About Literature: Step by Step
Chapter 2
Chapter 3

Finish What's In A Name Challenge


Well, I got a lot read in April (see the bottom of this blog for a full list), just not necessarily what was on this list. :-) I got hung up with The Faerie Queene, Tristram Shady, How To Read A Poem, Introduction To Narrative, and Writing About Literature going all at the same time. Consequently, I got no lectures listened to at all. I need to fix that going forward.

On the upside, I got a lot of good reading done in general, made a dent in my Lifetime Learning Plan, started teaching myself about poetry, and rather than the What's In A Name Challenge, I finished the Chunkster Challenge. I'm calling it a success! On to May . . .



Back to 2009 Second Quarter Goals
Back to 2009 General Concepts
Back to Lifetime Learning Project Personal Mission Statement



14 comments:

JoAnn said...

That sure sounds like a success to me, too!

Rebecca Reid said...

what a great month for you! I'm glad you read so many great things.

How many books are in The Faerie Queen?

Lezlie said...

Thanks, JoAnn! I see some adjustments I need to make, but this was pretty darn good for the first run! :-)

Rebecca ~ Thank you! The Faerie Queene consists of six books of twelve cantos each, then a seventh book that I think is only two cantos, maybe three. It's a *long* poem and the language can be frustrating at times, but overall I'm enjoying the experience!

Lezlie

zetor said...

Wow that's a lot of pages turned, well done!

Lezlie said...

Thanks, Zetor!
Lezlie

Terri B. said...

Lezlie, You sure did accomplish a lot! Yay You!

Lezlie said...

Terri ~ Thanks! Having a concrete plan to look at helps keep me focused, even if I don't follow it exactly. At least I'm consciously deviating from it and not spinning off on some tangent, never to return. :-)

Lezlie

Ladytink_534 said...

You had a great month! Congrats on finishing your challenge!

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

Wow! Your program is ambitious! But it sounds so enjoyable -- I'm a little jealous.

Stick with Tristram Shandy. It is the greatest. Funny as anything. And once you read it, you will appreciate the movie, A Cock and Bull Story that is all about trying to make a movie out of TS.

Just where was Uncle Toby injured? :)

Lezlie said...

Ladytink ~ Thanks!

Rose City Reader ~ I have every intention of finishing TS. I was enjoying it, but it was too much with the other ones I had going at the same time. And, yeah, poor Uncle Toby! :-) He's a great character though!

Lezlie

Darlene said...

Wow Lezlie, you had a busy month. Good for you, hope May is as good.

Lezlie said...

Thanks, Dar!
L.

joanna said...

Well done Lezlie, looks good! :-)

Lezlie said...

Thanks, Joanna!

Lezlie