NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Friday, April 24, 2009

GRAVE GOODS

by Ariana Franklin



In Grave Goods, the third in Ariana Franklin's "Mistress of the Art of Death" series, King Henry II sends Adelia to the recently burned Glastonbury Abbey to prove the skeletons discovered there are in fact the bones of the legendary King Arthur and Queen Guinevere. Angry at once again being dragged into Henry's schemes, Adelia makes the trip to the seemingly magical place, but what she and her friends find when they get there is a very different and dangerous mystery.

I just love Adelia and company! It's not just that the stories are entertaining, but the characters are so outstanding they keep me interested even if I feel the storyline losing me. While I find the legend of King Arthur intriguing, I'm not a big fan (yet), so that thread of the plot in this installment of the series slowed it down for me a couple of times. However, Frankin was quickly able to reel me right back in with other story elements and, of course, the marvelous cast.

The only real problem with these books is that I read them right away, then it's a year before I get to see what happens next. And judging by the end of this one, there will be a next, for Adelia's new nemesis is out there waiting. . . .

You can find my thoughts on the second book in the series, The Serpent's Tale, here.



10 comments:

Daphne said...

I'm getting ready to read this (for a reading challenge). I haven't read the others since I typically don't read mystery type books, but everyone seems to say good things about it.

Darlene said...

I find the legend of King Arthur intriguing too. This sounds good.

Lezlie said...

Daphne ~ You'll be able to follow it fine without the background of the other books. The story doesn't hinge on any previous knowledge. But if you have a chance to go back to the others, it's worth it to get to know the characters better.

Dar ~ This one is probably right up your alley! I liked the first one best so far, but I'm so attached to everyone that I'll keep reading as long as Franklin keeps writing about them. :-)

Lezlie

Jo-Jo said...

Hmmm...sounds like a very interesting series to check out. Thanks for stopping by the other day, I think I will probably post an update today, but things have been ok.

Terri B. said...

So glad to hear you like Franklin's books! My husband has read all of her books and has this one lined up to read next. He LOVES them! I look forward to reading them myself.

Lezlie said...

Jo-Jo ~ You should definitely check these out. And I'm glad you're doing OK. Hugs.

Terri ~ Your husband read them? Cool! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do when you get to them!

Lezlie

Marg said...

I have this out from the library to read soon! I really enjoyed the first two books in the series, particularly the first one!

Ladytink_534 said...

I think I may like this series! The King Arthur bit sounds very intriguing. Thanks for the review!!!

Lezlie said...

Marg ~ The first was my favorite also. I can't wait to see your thoughts on this one!

Ladytink ~ I do think you would like it. It begins with Mistress of the Art of Death, if you want to start with the first book.

Lezlie

BooksPlease said...

I loved her other books, but hadn't realised this one was out! so now I must, must find a copy. I love King Arthur stories too. Two reasons not to miss this book!