NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Monday, November 23, 2009

PLANET OF THE APES

by Pierre Boulle



"In the not-too-distant future, three astronauts land on what appears to be a planet just like Earth, with lush forests, a temperate climate, and breathable air. But while it appears to be a paradise, nothing is what it seems." (From the back cover of the Del Rey edition.)

Back in May when I read Pierre Boulle's Bridge Over The River Kwai, I learned he had also written Planet of the Apes. That struck me as so odd that I decided right then and there I needed to read Planet of the Apes. Here we are nearing Thanksgiving, and I've finally gotten around to it.

Don't let any cheesy old movies prejudice you. The book is surprisingly good! The writing itself does not come off as serious literature, but the themes sure do. Boulle considered Planet of the Apes to be a "social fantasy". It also could be a commentary on everything from animal rights, war, and racism to science and education. Seeing the apes engaging in so many everyday human activities and hearing their reasons for what they do brings to light irony and absurdity in our own behavior and prejudices in our logic. Believe it or not, this would be an excellent book club selection.

And for those who are wondering, the end is different from the movie. :-)



9 comments:

bermudaonion said...

My son thought this book was much better than the movie too!

Jeane said...

I think I'm going to have to try it. When I saw the film I just dismissed it all, forgetting that experience has taught me the book is usually much better!

Lezlie said...

Bermudaonion ~ That's great that your son took the time to read the book and enjoyed it! After seeing the movie(s), it would be so easy to write it off as silly.

Jeane ~ It's been so long since I've seen the movie that all I could remember from it was the very end. I think that helped me come to the book with a pretty open mind. It would be fun to see what you think of it!

Lezlie

Rebecca Reid said...

I didn't know it was a book....

Lezlie said...

Rebecca ~ I remember seeing it before, but I figured it was a novelization of the movie. I didn't realize the book came first.

Lezlie

Ladytink_534 said...

I know the movie though I've never seen it. I wasn't aware it was a book though!

Lezlie said...

Ladytink ~ Yup. The book started it all. I was surprised, too. Especially when I saw who the author was!

Lezlie

Teddy Rose said...

I remember you mentioning this when we met for lunch when I was there in MN. I added it to my TBR. I actually liked those cheesy movies when I was a kid. LOL!

I promise to post about us meeting soon.

Lezlie said...

Teddy Rose ~ I remember liking them, too. I just don't remember many details.

It's okay if you don't post about our lunch. I'm just so happy to have finally had a chance to meet you! Can you email me a copy of the pics you took? I can't believe I didn't bring a camera!

Lezlie