NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Friday, November 13, 2009

FRANKENSTEIN: DEAD AND ALIVE

by Dean Koontz



"What if Mary Shelley's Dr. Frankenstein lived on as an evil genius? Best selling author Dean Koontz tackles this question in his Frankenstein series. In the third installment, as Hurricane Katrina ravages New Orleans, Victor Helios (Frankenstein) releases an army of his creations to wreak havoc on the city's streets. However, when his dense monsters spin out of control, Victor must call on his original creation, the tormented Deucalion, to combat the epic nightmare." (From the CD container.)

Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series, of which Dead and Alive is the third, is wildly entertaining but ultimately forgettable. Fast moving with the balance of horror and humor tipping often in favor of humor, all three books are fun to read and great for a light literary getaway, but they're probably not going to make your list of top reads for the year. And sometimes isn't that exactly what we're looking for? :-)



10 comments:

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

I've never read any Dean Koontz before. The Frankenstein subject does sound interesting. Maybe I'll try out the first one. Any other Koontz suggestions?

Lezlie said...

Bookshelf Monstrosity ~ My absolute *favorite* Koontz book is called Watchers. Another one I remember liking a lot was Phantoms. I remember sleeping on the couch the night I read it, because I was scared to walk to my bedroom in the dark. :-)

Lezlie

Terri B. said...

I've almost started this series several times ... and then have been distracted by some other "shiny" book. Sounds like it will be some quick and easy to read fun when I get around to it!

Lezlie said...

Terri ~ They are. With no disrespect meant to Mr. Koontz, they are perfect "fluff" reading. :-)

Lezlie

zetor said...

My daughter has read Dean Koontz and praises the books, I must check them out one day.

Lezlie said...

Zetor ~ Like any other super-prolific author, he has his ups and downs. I always recommend Watchers and Phantoms, and I hear Intensity is great but I haven't read that one myself yet.

Lezlie

Ladytink_534 said...

I've tried Dean Koontz a time or two but I just don't like his horror that much.

Lezlie said...

Ladytink ~ I prefer him to Stephen King overall, but in truth I'm not much of a horror reader so I'm not sure my opinion is very fair. :-)

Lezlie

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Thanks for the review. I love Koontz and have wondered about these books.

Lezlie said...

Sheila ~ You're welcome! They're kind of like the Odd Thomas books, fun to read but nothing super special. Great for when you don't want to think too hard. :-)

Lezlie