NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Sunday, July 5, 2009

RANT

by Chuck Palahniuk



"The future you have, tomorrow, won't be the same future you had, yesterday." Rant Casey

"After Rant dies in a fiery blaze of glory, three of his closest compatriots -- a gang of urban demolition derby aficionados affiliated with a group calling themselves 'The Party Crashers' -- travel back to his hometown of Middleton to record an oral history of their fallen idol." (From the CD container)

What do you get when you cross a human rabies epidemic, a bee-swarmed goth funeral and a mom who booby-traps food to get people to eat slowly? Not to mention a virgin sex worker, DRVR Graphic Traffic reports ("We know why you rubberneck!"), a renegade Christmas tree Cadillac, and drivers stalking other drivers through the city streets for some "party crashing"? If you guessed "a Chuck Palahniuk novel" you are correct! And that barely scratches the surface.

Rant: The Oral Biography of Buster Casey is another Palahniuk work that you giggle and cringe your way through until all of a sudden the deeper message about humanity and society yanks you back by your chain and makes you rethink every "WTF??"-thing you just read and reinterpret them with a whole new attitude.

As before, I don't heartily recommend the novels of Chuck Palahniuk to just anyone. He takes a certain amount of fortitude, or maybe just personal derangement, to read and really enjoy. I'm learning to love him. Take that for what it's worth. :-)



Other reviews of Rant:

Bibliofreak

12 comments:

Tasha said...

I hadn't heard of this book before reading your review. Fight Club is on my list, but I just can't seem to get around to it. I think I have to wait for the right timing.

Jeane said...

Well, I have come to really enjoy some rather macabre tv shows- like Dexter- so I wonder if I could stomach Palahniuk. I've still got Fight Club waiting on my pile, too.

bermudaonion said...

I think I definitely need to try one of his books.

Lezlie said...

Charley ~ It's not one that is talked about much when Palahniuk's name comes up, but it's a good one!

Jeane ~ This wouldn't be a bad one to begin with. I have Fight Club here and I have every intention of getting to it sooner than later.

Bermudaonion ~ I can't wait to see what you think when you do!

Lezlie

JoAnn said...

I'll get to Palahniuk one of these days...

Lezlie said...

JoAnn ~ That's what I said, too. Now look at me! :-) I hope you like him when you do get to him.

Lezlie

J.T. Oldfield said...

I loved Rant. I reviewed it here:

http://bibliofreakblog.com/fiction/rant-by-chuck-palahniuk/

I'd agree that Palahniuk isn't for just anyone, but that's certainly not a bad thing! His only other book I've read is Snuff, though my husband has read them all.

Lezlie said...

J.T. ~ Thanks for your link! I've added it to the main post. How did you like Snuff? I have read 4 Palahniuk's now with more waiting impatiently on my desk. I have a hard time deciding who I would recommend him to, so I just throw my thoughts out there and let people decide for themselves. :-)

Lezlie

Anna said...

This is one Palahniuk I haven't read yet. I hope to read it eventually.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Lezlie said...

Anna ~ I can't wait to see what you think when you do! Palahniuk is such an oddity. :-)

Lezlie

Serena said...

I've seen this book in the library a couple times, but Haunted took so much out of me when I read it. I think I need some distance.

Lezlie said...

Serena ~ It would be hard to read Palahniuk books too close together. They do a number on your mind!

Lezlie