NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Thursday, January 15, 2009

THE REMAINS OF THE DAY

by Kazuo Ishiguro



Mr. Stevens reflects on his many years as a butler at a once-great house, discovering that his unswerving loyalty and dedication may have cost him more than he ever realized.

I was expecting a different focus in The Remains of the Day, so its subtle beauty snuck up on me. Right to the end I was expecting a sudden, momentous revelation. Instead, I got a slow, contemplative epiphany. This is not a book for one who is looking for fast paced action. Not much actually "happens". But the elegance of the writing and the deceptive simplicity of the story hooked me from the first paragraph and still has me pondering the concept of true greatness.



19 comments:

Kara said...

I read the blurb of this book before and found it to be interesting - I have added it to my TBR list - thanks for the reivew.

Lezlie said...

Kara ~ It's really an amazing book. The blurb on the back made me think it would be a bit different, but I was not at all disappointed in the result! :-)

Lezlie

Thoughts of Joy said...

I agree 100%. This genre is not a favorite of mine. I actually rarely read it, BUT I was very taken by both of the Ishiguro novels I have read. He has such a unique style that draws you in - love that ability.

Katherine said...

I loved this book, too! Not much "happens," but the beauty of the story lies in the main character himself. Good review!

Lezlie said...

Joy ~ I also have only read two, but I won't be stopping there. He is a special writer.

Katherine ~ You're so right! He is a character most readers will not forget any time soon. He captures you so completely!

Lezlie

The Bookworm said...

I need to read this one, great review.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Jo-Jo said...

I just wanted to pop over to say I gave you an award today!

Ladytink_534 said...

Glad you enjoyed it! I wonder how you're supposed to pronounce that name though....

Ana S. said...

I loved this book so much. I'm glad you did too!

Lezlie said...

Thanks, Naida!

Jo-Jo ~ Thank you so much! I'll be right over!

Ladytink ~ The author's name? It is pretty cool though, don't you think? :-)

Nymeth ~ I don't think I've ever heard a bad thing about this one.

Lezlie

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved this novel. I am not always in the mood for books like that, but when I am, there is just nothing else like it. The movie is beautiful, too. I love Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson.

Teddy Rose said...

Wonderful review Lezlie! I loved the movie and the book is on my TBR. I'm hoping to get to it this year.

Lezlie said...

Literate Housewife ~ I heard the movie was great. I can totally see Anthony Hopkins as Stevens. Perfect casting!

Teddy Rose ~ Thanks! I think you'll love this book, too.

Lezlie

Literary Feline said...

I've been wanting to read this book for awhile now. It sounds like something I would like. Thanks for the great review, Lezlie.

Lezlie said...

Literary Feline ~ I hope you do read it. I think you'd like it a lot!

Lezlie

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite books. I love the way it sort of sneaks up on you - something you could have seen all along, but is slowly revealed to you. It's Ishiguro's very best in my opinion, but his others are well worth reading (well, I can't say that yet for the Unconsoled, but I've read the rest of them now).

Lezlie said...

Meghan ~ I was looking at his other work, and I think our library has The Unconsoled on CD, which sounds like a good way to read that one. :-)

Terri said...

I loved this book too. After I read it, I watched the movie which is so well done. Anthony Hopkins was brilliant.

Lezlie said...

Terri ~ Anthony Hopkins seems like the perfect man for that role! I really should watch that.

Lezlie