NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Saturday, October 17, 2009

ROUGH COUNTY

by John Sandford



"While competing in a fishing tournament in a remote area of northern Minnesota, [Virgil Flowers] gets a call from Lucas Davenport to investigate a murder at a nearby resort, where a woman has been shot while kayaking. . . . [A]s he begins investigating, he finds a web of connections between the people at the resort, the victim, and some local women, notably a talented country singer. The more he digs, the more he discovers the arrows of suspicion that point in many directions, encompassing a multitude of motivations: jealousy, blackmail, greed, anger, fear." (From Amazon.com)

I understand that this is terribly judgemental of me, but it bothers me that an male author who has created notoriously womanizing characters for his two series (Lucas Davenport, Virgil Flowers), has decided to write a book for one of them that features a whole bunch of lesbians, complete with bi-sexual swingers and cat fights in the bar. There is something icky about the feel of it, the undercurrent of crude "guy fantasy" and cartoonish stereotyping, and it severely tainted my enjoyment of the book. Don't get me wrong. I've got no problem with the topic, just the ridiculous and seemingly gratuitous way it was presented.

That little rant aside, once Sandford gets done attempting to shock the reader with his "edginess" and starts doing what he does best, writing an actual mystery, Rough Country turns out to be pretty good. The second half of the book is much more enjoyable than the first. If you've never read Sandford before, I would not start here, but for fans of his it will hold you over until the next one.



7 comments:

Thoughts of Joy said...

Oh! This is good to know. I'm just beginning the Lucas series and have #2 ready for me to read very soon. I have heard from numerous people that this one is not up to par. I think I'll stick to Lucas. :) What do you think of the Virgil series?

Lezlie said...

Thouhts of Joy ~ Overall, I think the Virgil Flowers series is pretty good. There is nothing outstanding or unique about about it, but they're entertaining.

Lezlie

bermudaonion said...

I enjoy the Lucas Davenport series but haven't tried this one yet. I'll want to start from the beginning if I do try it.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I like suspense and thrillers, but I've never read anything by this author. Not sure why.

Lezlie said...

Bermuda Onion ~ I liked the first two of this series a lot. I suppose when you've been doing this as long and prolifically as Sandford has, there are going to be the odd ones that just don't connect with people as well as some of the others.

Diane ~ Sometimes we don't need a reason. There are so many of them! And you read a lot of different stuff. You probably already have a few "go to" authors when you feel like a good mystery. Sandford is generally really good though, if you ever feel like giving him a try!

Lezlie

Serena said...

This doesn't sound like a book I would enjoy and I'm not into these guy fantasy books.

Lezlie said...

Serena ~ Me neither. Sandford often walks that line, but I was suprised at the way he pushed this one over the edge. And not in a good way.

Lezlie