NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Saturday, November 21, 2009

LIES MY TEACHER TOLD ME

by James W. Loewen



"James W. Loewen, a sociology professor and distinguished critic of history education, puts 12 popular textbooks under the microscope -- and what he discovers will surprise you. In his opinion, every one of these texts fails to make its subject interesting or memorable. Worse still is the proliferation of blind patriotism, mindless optimism and misinformation filling the pages.

From the truth about Christopher Columbus to the harsh reality of the Vietnam War, Loewen picks apart the lies we've been told. This is a book that will forever change your view of the past." (From the CD container.)

I loved reading Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong. I don't think a person has to believe that the U.S. is a perfect place in order to appreciate and love it. We do have much to be proud of, but I think it's even more admirable to still love one's country even when one acknowledges the less palatable parts of its history. It shows a capability to learn and improve as a country and as a people, which is far more important than cultivating belief in one's own superiority. We've made mistakes and we're still making them, but seeing how far we've come gives me great hope for the future.



11 comments:

Eva said...

I won this book from Jill-I'm super excited about it. :) And I TOTALLY agree with your sentiments on loving the US despite of the bad things.

Lezlie said...

Eva ~ It definitely seems like your kind of book. I think you'll love it!

Lezlie

Andi said...

I've GOT to read this book. I had a wonderful history teacher as a freshman in high school who actually told us the uglier parts of history alongside all of the admirable stuff. Would love to read this one in his honor!

Lezlie said...

Andi ~ That's so cool! I was treated to the very white-washed version Loewen talks about in here, so it was years after high school before I started hearing the other side. I'm sad about that, because I do wonder if my interest in education would have been fostered much sooner with an approach such as is discussed in here. Mine was so bland that I had to run off to try to be a rock star for excitement. :-)

Lezlie

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

My dad recommended this book to me a few years back and I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. also, I'd like to read his Lies across America.

Lezlie said...

Bookshelf Monstrosity ~ Lies Across America does look like a good one, too. That's cool that your dad recommended it. I hope you like it when you have a chance to dig in!

Lezlie

Teddy Rose said...

As an adult, I have learned that there is a lot of history that was in correct that I learned in school as a child. The first thing is the Christopher Columbus discovered America. LOL! This sound like a great book!

Lezlie said...

Teddy Rose ~ You'd love this book! I think the first real stunner I had -- which I did learn before I read this, just not in school -- was the horrible treatment of the natives by Columbus and his crew. I have a book here by one of his crew members that I really need to get to. Like so many others, right? :-)

Lezlie

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Glad to read your great review on this book. I wondered about it :)

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

This sounds pretty good!

Lezlie said...

Diane & Sheila ~ The book is fascinating from beginning to end. I wish I had read it a long time ago.

Lezlie