NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Sunday, January 4, 2009

POEMS FROM GUANTANAMO

Edited by Marc Falkoff



Poems from Guantanamo: The Detainees Speak puts a human face on the subject of Guantanamo. I couldn't help but be moved by the words of the detainees, be they hateful, hopeful, angry or inspirational. Just as affecting are the short biographies of each of the poets and how they came to be at the facility. This tiny book most likely will not change most people's personal opinion of Guantanamo, its inmates and America's part in it all, but it will make some people think hard about it in a way they never have before.



6 comments:

joanna said...

looks interesting. I would think that such poems would reveal a lot about what matters in life.

Lezlie said...

Joanna ~ That they do.

Linda Jacobs said...

I am a poetry teacher and this looks great. I'll be buying it for sure!

Lezlie said...

Linda ~ I would *love* to know what you think of it when you do! Please stop back and let me know!

Lezlie

Serena said...

wow, this sounds like a moving book of poems. I will have to put this on the TBR list and possibly find a way to get my hands on a copy.

Lezlie said...

Serena ~ It is worth getting a copy. I'll be looking back at these again without doubt.

Lezlie