NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Sunday, January 4, 2009

THE BOOK OF SAMSON

by David Maine



The Book of Samson is a novelization of the biblical tale of Samson and Delilah told by Samson as he stands blinded and chained in the temple of the Philistine god, Dagon.

This is going to sound strange, but I've read three David Maine books over the last couple years and I still can't decide if I actually like them or not. Bizarre, but true. I am attracted to his unique slants on the biblical stories and overall I like his writing. But there is very black humor, gore and coarse language that will not sit well with some readers. Even I, an extremely forgiving reader, was periodically plunged into uneasiness at the liberal use of the f-word and c-word so casually tossed out by biblical characters. And apparently the Philistines spoke like ill-educated bumpkins.

That being said, I have no doubt I will continue to read this author. I can't give you a reasonable explanation for that. The pros of his work must outweigh the cons in my subconscious.



No comments: