NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Monday, June 29, 2009

CALL ME BY YOUR NAME

by Andre Aciman



"Time makes us sentimental. Perhaps, in the end, it is because of time that we suffer." (Call Me by Your Name, p. 232)

Call Me By Your Name is the story of a young Italian man who falls deeply for his parents' summer guest, an American scholar working on a philosophy book. Their turbulent and passionate six weeks together is destined to end, but the emotions that memories evoke linger as each of their lives takes its own path.

Anyone who has ever had any kind of relationship will be able to identify with the angst of uncertainty that your feelings will be returned in kind, the excitement of a new love, the pain of loss, and the bittersweetness of memory. Andre Aciman so beautifully puts into words the confusion and euphoria, the loathing and adoration that I could see images of my own reckless youth in those of Elio and Oliver.

This was only the second book this year that made me cry. Not racking sobs like the first one, but earnest tears for the beauty of the tenderness that remained in the hearts of Elio and Oliver so many years after they parted. We should all be so lucky to have had such a moment in time to look back upon and smile, even if it hurts.



8 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I love a book that stirs emotions and this sounds like a good one.

Lezlie said...

Bermudaonion ~ It absolutely is a good one. I can't believe I waited so long to get to it!

Lezlie

Amy said...

Well there's no hope for me, just about everyother book makes me cry! :)

But having said that, I love that quote at the top!

Lezlie said...

Amy ~ I try to use only one quote if I use any at all, and I kept moving my marker in this book because I kept running into new and better ones! :-) That one really stuck with me though.

I cry super easy at movies/TV, but I'm pretty stoic when it comes to books as along as animals aren't involved. Sometimes a good cry is just so emotionally cleansing though!

Lezlie

joanna said...

wow, sounds beautiful. Although I cry really easily so I'd probably be bawling at this one! ;-)

Lezlie said...

Joanna ~ It was! This was easily the most touching relationship in any book I've read this year.

Lezlie

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lezlie said...

Anonymous ~ I deleted the comment because it looked strangely like spam. Sorry!

Lezlie