NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Thursday, August 20, 2009

THE POLYSYLLABIC SPREE

by Nick Hornby



I think it was during one of the 24-Hour Read-A-Thons that I first heard about Nick Hornby's essay books. Thank goodness for the RAT! This book was a blast!

The Polysyllabic Spree is the "book about books" I'm a tiny bit jealous I didn't write. It now serves as my current inspiration. What I really loved about it was that it was less about the books themselves than about the reading life, what it's like to be a dedicated reader. I know many people who read this generated wonderful lists of books they wanted to read, but I was more intrigued by the stories about the act of reading -- the ups and downs and weird obsessive behaviour we reading addicts tend to engage in.

Contemplating The Polysyllabic Spree and its sequels has got me thinking: Maybe my "book about books" should be about the experiences of being a book blogger. Maybe that should be my angle! I may be on to something here. Thanks, Nick! :-)



Other review:

Letters From A Hill Farm
Savvy Verse & Wit

18 comments:

Valerie said...

This looks like something I'd enjoy reading, too. I keep hearing about Nick Hornby but have not yet read anything of his yet! This looks like a good one to try him out.

Jenny said...

I hadn't heard of this but it looks good! Adding to my WL!

Ana S. said...

lol, I'm jealous I didn't write it too! He's so brilliant <3

Lezlie said...

Valerie ~ It's a perfect book to begin with. It's nice and short and funny!

Jenny ~ I'm happy to be the one to introduce you to it!

Nymeth ~ Your name came to mind when I tried to remember where I first heard of these books. And I heartily thank you!

Lezlie

Eva said...

I read all three of that series during the various read-a-thons. :D Love them to death! I was so sad to turn the last page of the last one.

Lezlie said...

Eva ~ I hear you there! I'm debating between reading the other two right away because I know they're great or spacing them out to enjoy them longer. It's a tough call!

I'm glad to see you out and about! I hope you're feeling much, much better!!

Lezlie

Nan said...

I did read this, and I wrote a really short review:
http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2008/03/book-reportthe-polysyllabic-spree.html

I don't think I was as fond of it as you were.:<)

Rebecca Reid said...

Oh, sounds like a nice light read! Adding to my list.

Lezlie said...

Nan ~ We can't love 'em all. :-) Thanks for the link! I'll add it to this review.

Rebecca ~ Very light! I'm thinking you'll like it.

Lezlie

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

I just got this one a couple of weeks ago and am really looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun, light, quick read. Something I could use right about now.

Lezlie said...

Rose City Reader ~ I hope you love it! I ordered the other two immediately upon finishing. :-)

Carol's Notebook ~ This would be a great filler between some of the more serious reading we all tend to engage in. Enjoy!

Lezlie

BooksPlease said...

I came across this ages ago and still haven't got a copy! It sounds like a 'must read'. Thanks for the reminder.

Lezlie said...

Books Please ~ You must! I think you would like it a lot!

Lezlie

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Ah the life of a book blogger--yup, I think you got something there. Actually, when I saw the previews for Julie and Julia (or whatever) I immediately thought how cool it was that Julie is a blogger!

Anyway, immediately putting this on my wishlist. Love books about books. Now go read High Fidelity--a book about lists. What blogger doesn't love lists??

Lezlie said...

Trish ~ I'm on it! I need to think of something for my September entry for the Buy A Book And Read It Challenge, so maybe I'll just go with that one. Sounds like a plan!

Lezlie

Serena said...

I really liked this book as well when I read it last year. I too "was more intrigued by the stories about the act of reading -- the ups and downs and weird obsessive behaviour we reading addicts tend to engage in."

I'm going to add a link to your review, here's mine if you want to reciprocate!

http://www.savvyverseandwit.com/2008/05/polysyllabic-spree.html

Lezlie said...

Serena ~ Absolutely I will! Thanks, Serena!

Lezlie