NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Friday, November 6, 2009

THE CASEBOOK OF VICTOR FRANKENSTEIN

by Peter Ackroyd



The Casebook of Victor Frankenstein is a fabulous retelling of Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, but the title is also cleverly misleading. As soon as I finished this book, I wanted to reread it with the knowledge I obtained at the end to see if it felt like the same book. I didn't because there are a million other books I want to read, but I'm a little sorry about that. I think I will come back to this one at some point in the future because I really do want to know if the perception changes. And I'd like to reread the original Frankenstein in the same manner, with the outcome of Casebook in mind. I'll bet that feels a little different, too.

Sorry if that all sounds confusing, but I don't want to give the end away. I think Peter Ackroyd made his unique mark on the Frankenstein story with a simple twist. I can't say the twist is outrageously original, but something about the way he handled it made my mind race. I have read nothing else by Ackroyd, but I will be making plans to remedy that soon!



12/2/09 -- Due to repeated spam, comments have been turned off for this post. Thanks for understanding!

13 comments:

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

I think this one sounds fabulous; it's on my reading list. Thanks for the review.

Lezlie said...

Bookshelf Monstrosity ~ I'd love to see your thoughts on it! I felt it was really well done.

Lezlie

Andi said...

I'm seeing lots of Frankenstein retellings and takeoffs lately. This one sounds great.

Lezlie said...

Andi ~ Must be Halloween that brings them on. :-) This one felt a lot like the original, with the exception of Mary Shelley herself and a couple famous poets being characters in the story, so I couldn't really figure out where he was going with it. Mary Shelley being a character in the story is *not* the twist, by the way. ;-)

Lezlie

Andi said...

LOL, thanks for the heads up!

Anonymous said...

The title caught my eye since I just finished Frankenstein. I'm always wary of retellings of classics, though.

Lezlie said...

Carol's Notebook ~ I understand being wary of them. I thought this one was done well. He didn't venture into anything completely weird, but he did find a way to make it unique.

Lezlie

Unknown said...

You've been splashed!!

There is an award waiting for you at my blog:

http://readingwithtequila.blogspot.com/2009/11/mermaid-splash-award.html

Lezlie said...

Thanks, Jennifer!! I'll be right over!

Lezlie

Rebecca Reid said...

A reread for Lezlie?! It must have been a good book!

I haven't read Frankenstien yet. But I'm dully intrigued by this one!

Lezlie said...

Rebecca ~ It's the change of perspective that would make the reread interesting. Lately I've felt like I need to read *everything* twice that's not just entertainment reading. I'm hoping that's indicative of deeper thinking going on in my head and not just missing everything the first time around. :-)

Lezlie

Ladytink_534 said...

Well I have to say you've definitely intrigued me! It's been years since I read anything Frankenstein related...

Lezlie said...

Ladytink ~ I hope you like it if you decide to give it a try!

Lezlie