NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Tuesday, September 29, 2009

SENSE & SENSIBILITY

by Jane Austen



"Sense and Sensibility is a wonderfully entertaining tale of flirtation and folly that revolves around two starkly different sisters, Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. While Elinor is thoughtful, considerate, and calm, her younger sister is emotional and wildly romantic. Both are looking for a husband, but neither Elinor’s reason nor Marianne’s passion can lead them to perfect happiness -- as Marianne falls for an unscrupulous rascal and Elinor becomes attached to a man who’s already engaged." (From Barnes & Noble online).

This was it. My very first Jane Austen book. I have to admit that this particular book was chosen at this particular time because I have Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters here to review, which I am even more excited about. :-) Ah, the silliness of it all!

But before I indulged in the follow-up to the wildly popular Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, I decided it was my responsibility to read the original first. While I've shied from Jane Austen because, well, for the most part I'm not a "chick book" kind of chick, I really did enjoy Sense and Sensibility much more than I expected I would. It's not that the story is particularly engrossing, but the characters are so well developed that I couldn't avoid an affection for many of them (and an irritation with some them) that made me want to know about their lives, however unexciting they may be in comparison to other things I could have been reading. I love Georgette Heyer's books, and I would absolutely have drawn a mental comparison between the two had I read Austen first. They both have an uncanny ability with dialog and creating distinct, identifiable personalities with that alone.

I completely understand the devotion some people have to this author, and I will most assuredly be reading more of her work. But I have to admit that in my head I was constantly trying to guess where the sea monsters will come into play. And I'm hoping Lucy Steele and Fanny Dashwood get their due when it comes to said sea monsters. :-)



27 comments:

Jackie said...

Great review Lezlie! I actually haven't read the original - I've seen the movie many times, does that count? But I have read Pride and Prejudice about 3 or 4 times now; it just doesn't get old.

I'm still working on Sea Monsters, so I can't attest to the fate of Lucy or Fanny, but here's hoping
;-)

Lezlie said...

Jackie ~ Thanks! I know I shouldn't be making some of the bolder statements I made without having read at least Pride and Prejudice also, but I have no reason to doubt it's every bit as good or better than this one, so I felt justified. :-)

Is Sea Monsters as fun as I expect it to be? I sure hope so! I'm starting it tonight.

Lezlie

Jackie said...

It's pretty funny, for sure. I look forward to your review...I'm reading it a bit slowly because of the language but hope to have it done by nest week.

Lezlie said...

Jackie ~ Excellent! I'm thinking I'll be able to breeze through it fairly quickly since S&S is so fresh in my brain, but one never knows. :-) I can't wait to see your thoughts when you're done!

Lezlie

BurtonReview said...

Someday I will read all of Austen.. I recently read P&P and two sequels, soon I will expand. =)

Thanks for the review and I am so glad you enjoyed it.
I adore Heyer as well, she has me laughing out loud sometimes!!

Lezlie said...

Marie ~ Austen has been a glaring hole in my classics education, so I know what you mean.

Heyer is awesome! The last one I read was The Quiet Gentleman, and if you haven't read that one, you really must. The characters and comedy are simply wonderful!

Lezlie

Amy said...

So glad you enjoyed it! Austen is one of my all-time favs. I think all the spin-offs are amazing! Wonder what Austen would have thought of it all. . .

bermudaonion said...

I read this book after seeing the movie and loved it too.

Lezlie said...

Amy ~ I've often wondered that myself. I'm thinking she's somewhere smiling, happy she's created such memorable characters that readers want to hang on to. :-)

Bermuda Onion ~ It sure whets the appetite for her other work. I'm going to make sure it doesn't take too long to try another!

Lezlie

Tasha said...

I recently received Sense & Sensibility through Swaptree. I'm looking forward to reading it.

joanna said...

I haven't read anything by jane Austen yet either and must admit that Pride and Prejudice may be my first book by her because I'm curious about the zombies!! :-) At least those silly books are getting people to read the originals!

JoAnn said...

So glad you enjoyed your first Jane...I'll be looking forward to your 'sea monster' review. I really need to get to the 'zombies' - lol!

Lezlie said...

Charley ~ It is a good one. I hope you like it when you have a chance to get to it. I think you will!

Joanna ~ That would have been my first one if I hadn't received Sea Monsters for review. Too fun!

JoAnn ~ I only read a few pages last night, but it made me laugh! With S&S so fresh in my mind, it was great to be jarred out of the "properness" of it all with sudden occurrences of weirdness. :-)

Lezlie

Rebecca Reid said...

I have this one on my fall reading list. I love P&P but have yet to read the others.

I'm one that won't be reading the sea monsters, though. Not my thing.

Lezlie said...

Rebecca ~ Nah, I can't see you reading the zombie or sea monster versions. I, on the other hand, am pretty sure my brain has been dissolved by a month-long bout of bronchitis and am completely appreciating the ridiculousness. :-)

Lezlie

Matt said...

I just saw the BBC movie and hoped that Fannie Dashwood would meet an end that would do justice of her wrongdoing against the sisters as well.

Lezlie said...

Matt ~ Since Jane went easy on her, let's hope the sea monsters seek revenge. I'll keep you posted! :-)

Lezlie

Mel (He Followed Me Home) said...

I've got the Sea Monsters book to read as well. It should be interesting the difference in reviews as I have not read the book nor saw the movie!

Glad to kow you were laughing only a few pages in, I can only imagine the extreme contrast, lol.

Lezlie said...

Mel ~ It's just so weird that it's funny. If this had been just supposed to be a funny book about sea monsters, it would probably just seem stupid. But the fact that it's a spoof on such a famous classic is what does it. You know what I mean?

Lezlie

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

This is one I have wanted to read and have yet too.... I should do this one for the Austen Challenge.

Ladytink_534 said...

I've never been able to finish a Jane Austen story before. I think I've even tried this one at one point. Hope you enjoy the sea monsters :)

Lezlie said...

Sheila ~ I'll be waiting for your thoughts on it! :-)

Ladytink ~ While I can see why readers love Austen, I can also see how she may more others to tears. The addition of sea monsters seriously ups the action! :-)

Lezlie

Lezlie said...

Ladytink ~ Oops! I meant "bore others to tears". Yikes. Too early in the morning.

Lezlie

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I totally meant to read this one this year but it looks like I might not get to it afterall. I enjoy Austen but I don't go gaga over her like some of the others. But I think you hit it spot on with the fact that what makes Austen's books so great is the characterization. They aren't particularly exciting books--not in our day and age--but the characters are fabulous. So, what's next? (besides Sea Monsters?)

Lezlie said...

Trish ~ I have Pride and Prejudice here, so I'm guessing that will be my next Austen. No idea when I'll finally get there though! :-)

Lezlie

Anna said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I read this one in high school, so I think it's time for a re-read. I have a sequel to this one on the shelf, and I'm not sure I could follow it otherwise. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Sea Monster book. I haven't read the Zombie one, though it's waiting patiently on my shelf.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Lezlie said...

Anna ~ I do think the monster "smash-ups" work better if the original story is fresh in your mind. I'm listening to P&P now, so I can get read for the Zombies version. I'll be waiting to see your thoughts on it also!

Lezlie