NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Tuesday, January 20, 2009

THE RAPHAEL AFFAIR

by Iain Pears



When what is believed to be an authentic Raphael painting is discovered beneath the painting of another artist, questions of authenticity lead to murder.

The Raphael Affair is the first in a series of Art History Mysteries by Iain Pears, and his style reminded me a bit of Agatha Christie. While it didn't keep me on the edge of my seat or riveted to the pages, it was a cute book -- that is, if "cute" can be applied to fraud and murder. :-) This is a series I will definitely keep on the TBR list for when I want a quick pick-me-up and that I would recommend if you're looking for ideas for the Art History Reading Challenge.



12 comments:

Marg said...

I am looking for a couple more books for the Art History Challenge so thanks for the rec.

Lezlie said...

Marg ~ I think we're all looking for each other's suggestions for that one. :-) What a fun challenge though!

Lezlie

Michele said...

This is the kind of book I love to pick up between review books...thanks for the suggestion!

Lezlie said...

Michele ~ My pleasure! :-)

Lezlie

Literary Feline said...

Art history mysteries are usually fun. I will have to look for this series. Thanks for the great review, Lezlie.

Lezlie said...

Literary Feline ~ If you have other suggestions along these line, please let me know! I'd love to check them out.

Lezlie

Ladytink_534 said...

Ooh! Sounds very cool!

Lezlie said...

Ladytink ~ It was different from my usual fare, so I thought so, too!

Lezlie

zetor said...

Just ordered this from the library, looking forward to starting it.

Lezlie said...

Zetor ~ I hope you enjoy it! I'll be waiting to see your thoughts on it. :-)

Lezlie

Booklogged said...

It's always nice when you have a book on the list that someone else reviews positively. YAY!

Lezlie said...

Booklogged ~ I can't wait to see your thoughts on it! I hope I can get back to this series after I finish up my challenges.

Lezlie