NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Thursday, April 9, 2009

THE FORGERY OF VENUS

by Michael Gruber



"Chaz is an artistic genius with a very ill son and an estranged wife whom he still loves but cannot provide for financially. He accepts a commission to 'restore' an antique fresco in a European castle, but when he gets there, he discovers there's very little left to restore and the job is more of a 're-creation'. Some would call it a forgery. His work impresses some millionaire criminal dealers, and, desperate to get his son the medical care he needs and reunite his family, Chaz embarks on a journey that tests not only his artistic genius, but his moral convictions." (From the CD container)

I now suspect that part of the reason I was a little glassy-eyed over Girl With A Pearl Earring was not only my less-than-stellar mood, but also that I had The Forgery of Venus going at the same time and it just couldn't compete. I was all kinds of engrossed in Chaz's screwed-up, tortured genius existence and his bizarre drug-induced forays into living Diego Rodríguez de Silva y Velázquez's life in the early 17th century. I loved the frightening world of multi-million dollar forgery and the nasty tie-in with art stolen from the Jews during WWII. It was all so odd and exciting that poor Griet and Vermeer got left in the dust.

This is one of those books that makes me glad I join reading challenges. I totally would have missed out on this one if not for the Art History Challenge!



3 comments:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Sounds like an absolutely thrilling ride!! I love the discoveries that I make with reading challenges as well.

If I have two books going on at the same time, one usually pales in comparison. Most of the time just one book is enough for me--no competing! :)

Literary Feline said...

I havent' read anything by Gruber yet, but I did get the chance to meet him at the book festival a couple of years ago. He signed one of his books for me. I just haven't managed to read it yet. I'm so bad.

Lezlie said...

Trish ~ It was a fun one! Through the reading challenges, I'm learing to stretch my boundaries a lot. It doesn't help shrink the TBR pile, but exploration trips to the bookstore and library are even more interesting than before! One of my goals this year is to write a composition on personal growth through reading challenges, and I think it's going to be a pretty easy paper to write. :-)

Literary Feline ~ Was he nice? I hope so! Now that I've read this, I'm very cuious about The Book of Air and Shadows.

Lezlie