NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Monday, July 20, 2009

THE QUIET GENTLEMAN

by Georgette Heyer



"When Gervase Frant, Seventh Earl of St. Erth, returns at last from Waterloo to his family seat at Stanyon, he enjoys a less than welcoming homecoming. Only Theo, a cousin even quieter than himself, is there to greet him -- and when he meets his stepmother and half-brother he detects open regret that he has survived the wars. The dangers of Lincolnshire countryside could never be more unexpected . . . " (From the CD container)

When it comes to reading for pure entertainment, there is very little more entertaining than good regency dialogue. I immediately want to add phrases such as, "He's a little queer in the attic, don't you think?" and "We can't leave her lying about at the bottom of the stairs for just anyone who comes along to trip over!" to my every day conversations. :-) Seriously though, dialogue in books such as Heyer's regencies never fails to make me smile and often has me chuckling out loud.

There have been a lot of Heyer reviews floating around lately due to the reissue of her books. I can only hope that readers don't pass up The Quiet Gentleman purely from Heyer-overload. I've only read a few of her books, but I have to say this one is a stand out so far.



5 comments:

Iliana said...

Oh I love those phrases. Yes, how to incorporate them into everyday dialogue :)

I'm relatively new to the world of Heyer but what I've read so far I've really enjoyed. Another one for the list!

Anna said...

I have one Heyer book on my shelf, The Reluctant Widow, but I haven't read it yet. I've heard good things about her writing, so I'm looking forward to it.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Lezlie said...

Iliana ~ The other one that always cracks me up is, "He's dicked in the knob." Immature, I know, but I can't help it! :-)

Anna ~ I haven't read that one yet either. I have The Corinthian and The Grand Sophie sitting on my desk, though, for giggle back-ups. :-)

Lezlie

Ladytink_534 said...

Oh I do that too! I've done it in my reviews a time or two if I start writing them as soon as I've finished reading. Right now one of the characters I'm reading is English and I've been throwing "bloody", "ponce", and even "bint" into every day conversation without realizing. Cracks hubby up lol.

Really ought to pick Heyer up and see what all the fuss is about...

Lezlie said...

Ladytink ~ Those are great words! And you really should give Heyer a try. I think this one comes out in October, but if you wanted to read on sooner, Cotillion was really cute, too.

Lezlie