NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Historical Mysteries, Anyone?


So, I'm strolling around Barnes & Noble yesterday looking at books about Twitter and Facebook trying to decide if I want to jump into modern social networking or not. You have to remember I am a woman who owns a cell phone that does not take pictures and just got off her dial-up Internet connection last summer. I'm not real quick on the techno-uptake. Anyway, that's not the point. The point is that since I was at the bookstore, I could not limit myself to the one area I was interested in when I walked in the door. I decided to scan a couple shelves of mysteries because why not? Right? And here is what I found:


To Shield the Queen by Fiona Buckley is the first is a series of historical mysteries set in the time of Elizabeth I, and they have been reissued with some beautiful covers! It looks at a glance like there are about eight books in the series. Has anyone out there read any of them? They look wonderful!!



19 comments:

Michele said...

I love historical mysteries (whoops, almost typed hysterical mysteries, lol). I haven't seen these before but you're right: the covers are beautiful!

Lezlie said...

Michele ~ I like hysterical mysteries, too! The world could use more of those. :-) I came across this series in the library once, but I had forgotten all about them. I see a purchase in my very near future . . .

Lezlie

Meghan said...

I have seen these before, but never read them. You'll have to let us all know how they are! =)

bermudaonion said...

I haven't read those books. I just wanted to say you should sign up for Twitter! Don't buy a book, though - just get on there. The learning curve is slight and people will help you.

Lezlie said...

Meghan ~ I will be sure to do that!

Bermudaonion ~ I just might. I don't know why I'm so hesitant, but you all will be the first to know if I take the plunge!

Lezlie

Terri B. said...

I decided to browse a section of the bookstore that I don't normally visit -- the nature section. I found some interesting looking books and walked out the door with Wesley the Owl :o)

Lezlie said...

Terri ~ Isn't it funny, the things we can find?? :-)

Lezlie

Darlene said...

I've never read these but yes this does look good. I'll have to check it out and see if they're here. Good find Lezlie.

Lezlie said...

Dar ~ Thanks! It's tough to find books everyone doesn't know about already. The people in the book community are *on it*! :-)

Lezlie

Cathy said...

It's me. The Mystery Nerd. I not only have heard of this series, but I've read the books. Good stuff!

Lezlie said...

Cathy ~ Mystery Nerds rock! :-) I'm so glad the books are good, because I've pretty much made up my mind to pick them up. Thanks for letting me know!!!

Lezlie

Iliana said...

Have not read her series but does it count if I've got this one on my stacks? :)

I love historical mysteries although I typically tend to just go as far back as the victorian period. Must be all that talk of beautiful dresses. haha...

So are you going to check this one out?

Lezlie said...

Iliana ~ Absolutely it counts! :-) I will definitely be getting to this one eventually. Cathy says they're good, so I'm in!

Lezlie

Heather said...

bookshelf scanning is fun! This looks good...may have to scan for it myself!

Lezlie said...

Heather ~ Shelf scanning is one of my favorite things in life to do. Bookstore, library, other people's homes. . . :-)

Lezlie

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

I read this one and it wasn't my cup of tea. The idea of it appealed to me, but the main character bugged me. But I am VERY glad you put up a post about it, because I can never remember the author's name -- thanks for the reminder!

Lezlie said...

Rose City Reader ~ You're welcome! I'll be curious to see if my reaction is more like yours or if I'll like her. These look really good, but one never knows!

Lezlie

Marg said...

I've read the whole series and quite enjoyed them, especially the later books in the series. Some were pre blogging but there are some reviews on my blog. I wouldn't mind another book in the series really.

You may be interested to know that this author also writes under the name Valerie Anand.

Lezlie said...

Marg ~ Thank you so much for the info! I will definitely be checking out your revies. On my way right now!

Lezlie