NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Friday, July 31, 2009

LLP: June 2009 Wrap-Up



July, as quickly as it flew by, was a pretty productive month! Out of my four goals for Third Quarter, my focus for this past month was primarily on my Reading Challenges. I finished three challenges, possibly four if I finish Bleak House later today, and I only have seven books left to finish the Countdown Challenge, which I have an obsession with completing because I made such a mess of the 888 Challenge last year. For some reason they are related in my mind, and I have no reasonable explanation for that. Anyway, here are the challenges I finished off in July:

Decades Reading Challenge **Finished July 2, 2009**

2nds Reading Challenge **Finished July 12, 2009**

Pub Challenge **Finished July 29, 2009**

I have done bits and pieces of the other three goals for the quarter, but nothing I'm ready to report back on. I *really* want to finish up my challenges, because I have some other plans perking and I need those out of the way. I suppose I could abandon them and move on, but I don't want to do that because one of my Lifetime Learning Plan goals for the year is to write about using Reading Challenges for personal growth and self-education. One of the things I'm mulling over is branching out from those challenges into a broader educational tool. I know that is incredibly ambiguous, but I don't have the whole thing worked out in my head yet either. I'm staring at the full bookshelves and piles of books on my desk figuring out where I'm going with it all. I'm getting there!

In the meantime, while my Classic Novels course seems to have stalled while I focus on the challenges, I did pick up a brand new DVD course from The Teaching Company that I started watching last night: The Art of Reading! I watched the first two lectures last night, and I LOVE it! As I progress through it, I'll tell you more about my experience, but you can check out the content of the course by clicking here.

Tomorrow morning I'll announce the winner of the autographed copy of The Blue Notebook, so good luck to everyone who entered! And you all have a great weekend!!



15 comments:

Jo-Jo said...

Well it sounds like you had a very productive July. I can't wait to see what you have to say about The ARt of Reading. That sounds very interesting.

JoAnn said...

You've had a great month! I just clicked over to the Teaching Company, and love the description of The Art of Reading. Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

Have you enjoyed Bleak House? I've got that on the shelf and am considering it for this fall/winter. Here's to an August that's just as productive!

Lezlie said...

Jo-Jo ~ I'm actually hoping for rain this weekend so I can watch more of those lectures without missing any nice weather outside. :-)

JoAnn ~ I am a Teaching Company junkie. They have so many fabulous courses!

I have been enjoying Bleak House. It took me a while to get into, then I was interrupted because my time ran out at the library and couple others had requests on it. I finally just got it back the other day, so I'm finishing it off. It would be a really good fall/winter read!

Lezlie

Anonymous said...

Looks like a productive month. I can't really say the same for me, although I'm having a sudden burst of energy and read two books today. And one yesterday.

I've seen those Teaching Company courses before. I'll keep a look out for what you think of The Art of Reading course.

Oh said...

what a delight to find your blog! I love books! I love dogs. What a great idea for a blog. and now, I will check out your refernce to the ART OF READING.

Lezlie said...

Oh ~ Hello! I'm so glad you stopped by and left a comment. Thank you! I hope I see you around often. And I hope you enjoy the information on The Art of Reading. Courses from The Teaching Company are addicting!

Lezlie

Anna said...

You're on a roll with those challenges and courses.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Ladytink_534 said...

Congrats! Hope August is just as good for you :)

Lezlie said...

Anna ~ I'm more on a roll with the challenges than my courses, but either one is progress, right? :-)

Ladytink ~ Thanks!!

Lezlie

Lezlie said...

Damned Conjuror ~ Two books in a day! Sounds like the perfect day to me. :-) I'm always a little envious of those bloggers who seem to easily read 200-300+ books a year.

I think you would enjoy the Teaching Company. You might want to check your local library to see if they carry any of them you could try. Our library has tons of them, but I tend to by the literature ones because I always want to refer back to them.

Lezlie

Rebecca Reid said...

That teaching company course looks great! I may have to check them out.

Congrats on finishing some of your challenges, and enjoy your August reading and projects!

wisteria said...

What a great month you had. Congratulations. I think Max and Skye are very proud of their reading accomplishments too.
My four greyts are too busy sleeping on the couch. LOL

Have fun with your August endeavors. :)

Lezlie said...

Rebecca ~ I think you would really like The Teaching Company *a lot*. You have to let me know what you think after you check some of their courses out.

Wisteria ~ Max and Skye did very well also. Max finished his "Chase Every Squirrel From The Yard Challenge" and Skye did a stellar job on his "Scare The Neighborhood Joggers Challenge". :-) Not so much reading got done though. LOL!

Lezlie

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

I think this book looks so good. Every time I see it I say that so I guess I had better go find it. :)

Lezlie said...

Sheila ~ I know what you mean. I have my copy sitting here and I'm dying to get to it! I just have a few others I need to get to first. Big sigh.

Lezlie