NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Saturday, April 4, 2009

Go, Max, Go!


The trial went for almost 10 hours. Once I got home, I really wanted a skillet breakfast from Denny's, so off we went. Now it's almost 9:30, and I'm finally ready to report.

Thanks for all the good wishes from everyone! They worked great! Max qualified in three of his five runs, making a cumulative grand total of eleven qualifying scores toward his championship title. Yay, Max! (We ultimately need 40.)

The first run was Fullhouse, where he basically gets to just run like a maniac for points. I love when they run that first, because he gets some of his crazies out. He qualified on that one, and on his second run, a standard numbered course. He knocked a couple of jump bars down on his third run, and I thought maybe his hips were getting tired. I decided to run the fourth course, and if he knocked anything down I'd pull him from his last run. I don't want my little boy to get hurt! False alarm. He ran like a nut job and we got a couple of "off course" calls (Oops. Wrong end of the tunnel. Twice!), but he flew over the jumps like a champ. So I let him run his fifth and final course, and he came through with his third Q. Good boy!

I feel so lucky to be able to have this link with Max. He was diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia at 10 months old, and I was told he would not be able to walk by the time he was two. He'll be five on Monday, and with just a little extra care and precaution he's still going strong, doing what he loves. My vet thinks he's a miracle dog. Yeah, those qualifying scores are nice, but just being able to go out there and run in the dirt with him, seeing the smile on his face is really all I need.

We're off to get some sleep now. Have a good night everyone!



13 comments:

Ladytink_534 said...

Bet he's completely tuckered out but happy!

Literary Feline said...

That's so great, Lezlie! Max definitely is a miracle dog. :-) It's all that love you give him, I think!

zetor said...

Go Max go. Hope you both have a good sleep.

JoAnn said...

Hurray for Max! Hope you both got a nice, loooong rest.

Lezlie said...

Ladytink ~ It takes more than that to tucker that boy out! :-) He slept in the car on the way home, then wanted to play ball. No wonder he's so skinny!

Literary Feline ~ Thanks! He is a spoiled boy for sure. All our fuzzy boys are. :-)

Zetor & JoAnn ~ Thanks you!

Lezlie

Serena said...

That's fantastic. Wow what a great first showing. Good luck in future competitions...not that he'll need it.

Lezlie said...

Serena ~ I was very proud of him! He hasn't had as many lessons lately, because the surface we practice on in the winter is hard on him. He did great despite that!

Lezlie

Jo-Jo said...

Congrats to Max...I'm glad he did such a great job! He sounds like such a loveable dog with an amazing story.

Lezlie said...

Jo-Jo ~ He's a great dog! I've never in my life had dogs like Skye and Max. Their personalities are so strong and they're so smart that it's like having little fuzzy people in the house!

Lezlie

Darlene said...

Yaaaaaay Max! I bet he was tuckered after all that. Good for him. I love hearing how well he's doing. Give him a big ole hug-one for Skye too!

Lezlie said...

Dar ~ Will do! They love their hugs from Aunti Dar! :-)

Lezlie

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

yeah! congrats on Max's success - and his continued health. :)

Lezlie said...

Heather J. ~ Thanks so much!

Lezlie