NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Coming To My Home Today . . . More Poetry!


After reading How To Read A Poem and Fall In Love With Poetry, it became clear to me that I need some serious assistance with poetry. I have a couple of books that will get me started, but I wanted something else I could pick away at that was more specific than just "poetry". That is a broad topic! I did a little research and here is what I found, Victorian Poetry: An Annotated Anthology.


This book is part of a series of annotated poetry anthologies. I chose this one because I know I like the poetry of Christina Rossetti and her work is included here. It looks like there is biographical information included for each poet and extra information about each poem. Also, there is a section in the Table of Contents that groups the poems by subject in the event a person chose to engage in a topical study of the poems in the book. I'm really excited about this volume, and if it turns out to be as great as it looks I may have to pick up other volumes in this series. I'll keep you posted!

On a side note, as I was researching the direction I wanted to go in with this I have discovered that I seem to have a liking for Victorian Literature in general. I see a potential Knowledge Block forming! :-)



6 comments:

Jane said...

I haven't read poetry since leaving school and it's a shame. I loved it and this looks like and with all the extra information in this book, this may be a good way back.
Thanks for visiting me and leaving a comment. I appreciate your opinion.

Iliana said...

I typically read more contemporary poetry but given how much I like the victorian period in novels I think I need to give this one a try! I'll have to see if my library has this book!

JoAnn said...

Sounds good. I'll look forward to hearing more about it!

Lezlie said...

Jaimie ~ I have you in my Reader, I just don't comment very often. You have a great blog though!

Iliana ~ As Peter and I were reading through the first volume of A Poem A Day a couple years ago, we learned that we tended to prefer older works. I'll have to ask you for suggestion when I'm ready to move on to more contemporary poetry!

JoAnn ~ I can't wait to get home and see if it's there yet!

Lezlie

Ladytink_534 said...

Love Victorian poetry though I don't read it hardly ever lol.

Lezlie said...

Ladytink ~ I have a feeling this book and that period will win a special spot in my heart. Do you have a particular poet or poem you can think of that I should be sure to look up?

Lezlie