NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Thursday, March 13, 2008

Booking Through Thursday




How about a chance to play editor-in-chief? Fill in the blanks:

__________ would have been a much better book if ______________________.




This is a hard one for me, as I am a very forgiving reader. (Which may not seem like an honest statement when I post my next couple of reviews. . .) Even books I'm not particularly fond of, I can usually find something I liked about it. I have a hard time boldly stating a book is just plain bad, because deep down there is a little voice always yelling back, "If you think you can do a better job, there's the computer. . ." :-) Disclaimer -- This is just a personal hang-up of mine, and not a statement regarding anyone else's views or their right to state them.

That being said, this question isn't really asking me to rip on a book. Merely state how a specific book could have been improved for me personally. Right? In that case, here goes:

The Watchman by Robert Crais would have been a much better book if the girl Joe Pike had fallen for had been a stronger, more intelligent woman rather than (as I stated in a previous post) a Paris Hilton-like Hollywood idiot. Joe is such a fabulous character and it was really disappointing to see him so attracted to a shallow, self-absorbed person, even if she does improve just a hair at the end. All through the Elvis Cole novels (where he originated from), if I was able to picture him hooking up with anybody at all it would have been some amazing, larger than life woman. I see him with Lara Croft (Tomb Raider), not one of The Girls Next Door.

There. That's my tirade. :-)

It's almost Friday!
Lezlie

15 comments:

Chrisbookarama said...

Sounds like a good answer to me! Strong women rule.

Lezlie said...

Chris ~ Don't they, though? :-) Thanks for visiting!

Lezlie

BooksPlease said...

Good answer. I also found it hard to answer and decided not to take it very seriously.

John Mutford said...

Thanks for answering. I agree with Booksplease that it's not to be taken very seriously. I find it interesting how many people are having an issue with the question itself.

Lezlie said...

Books Please and John ~ What I have found to be so wonderful about the answers to this question was that so many people *did* have trouble with it. When I first read it, I thought, "Wow. This could be a rip-fest." It didn't turn out that way at all. I found out how many readers there are just like me who accept books and stories for what they are whether we personally liked them or not. And I like the respect most book bloggers show for other reader's choices. Much along the lines of, "One person's trash is another person's treasure." What a great commmunity this is to be a part of!

Lezlie

Anonymous said...

In real life, women fall for the wrong man most of the times. Even strong women. Maybe, that is wasis depicted in the book.

Here is my BTT post!

joanna said...

I haven't read that one, but can see what you mean about characters who don't seem to match getting together... So much of that is subjective though, I suppose the author can't please everyone! ;-)

I had trouble with the question too, I suppose I'm also a forgiving reader! Although I'm not easily 'wow-ed' either, judging by the number of three-star reviews I give!

Lezlie said...

Joanna ~ That's exactly why I prefaced my answer with "how a book could have been improved for me personally. . ." :-) It is all *very* subjective.

I'm guessing if I gave ratings, lots of mine would be three-stars also. I think that's normal. I like most of what I read, and then there are the occassional "WOW!" books.

heather (errantdreams) said...

For me, the reason I'm often forgiving of books is that I can see that even if I don't like them, they might be perfect for a different audience. There is, however, a rare horrid book that really drives me nuts!

Lezlie said...

Heather ~ That's a great way to put it. I totally agree!

Lezlie

Idaho Gal said...

Nice response! I haven't heard of The Watchman or the Elvis Cole novels.

Lezlie said...

Idaho Gal ~ Thanks! If you're a mystery reader, the Crais' Elvis Cole series is worth checking out. Elvis is a quirky guy with a really smart mouth. Typical, I suppose, but I really enjoy these.

Lezlie

trish said...

Excellent answer! I haven't read The Watchman, so on the TBR list it goes. :)

Anonymous said...

Lara Croft is very cool. I always feel just a bit more suave after watching one of the Tomb Raider movies. :)

"What a great community this is to be a part of!"
So true! I only recently joined in and I'm thrilled at how friendly and interesting everyone is.

Lezlie said...

Trish ~ Thanks! You might want to check out the Elvis Cole series, too. You get to know who Joe is through them. The first one is "The Monkey's Raincoat" by Robert Crais.

Jennifer ~ I always have an overwhelming urge to go to the gym after watching "Tomb Raider". :-) (Angelina was just so incredibly cool in that.) And welcome to the community! I just discovered it all in January, so I'm still a newbie, too.

Lezlie