NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Thursday, March 6, 2008

Book Snobs


I just have to vent for a moment. I've been cruising around, checking out other blogs and I've noticed a few really disturbing things. Like the fact that there are a lot of book snobs out there. Maybe I'm too defensive of the "1001 Books" list. After all, I didn't make the thing. But I'm reading a lot of really nasty comments about those of us who have chosen to have fun with the list. Yes, we know The Bible isn't on the list. Yes, we know there's no Shakespeare or Dante or Homer. No Plato or Milton. We know that. And you know what? We can, have and do read the things we feel are missing. All without it being on any list at all, or being told we're idiots. Amazing, isn't it? These people run their mouths (or keyboards) calling us "stupid" and "ignorant" as if we have blindly stumbled onto a list we think has been annointed as the new Western Canon. Please. Lord save us from people who have no idea what they're talking about. We all have our own reasons for reading what we read, and none of us are wrong. There is something out there for everyone, and that is the beauty of it. Now I'm off to read something that isn't on any list except my own. Horror of horrors!! :-)

Happy reading everyone! No matter what it is you choose!!
Lezlie

PS Just for the record, the "1001 Books" list was an attempt to follow the history of the "novel", hence no poetry, plays, philosophy, etc., a point of which its more venomous detractors seem to be completely unaware. And I have already read Homer, Virgil, Shakespeare, Plato, Herodotus, and The Bible and sometimes want to read something just a little lighter. . .

15 comments:

trish said...

Wow! I can't believe people would be so snarky!

*shaking head*

Marg said...

You see it all the time. Within the book world it is usually directed at genre fiction though - mysteries, romance etc. Still amazes me every time, especially seeing am I am one of those people who reads across most genres.

Anonymous said...

I'm a book snob. Yes I am. I have specific criteria that MUST be adhered to, otherwise its just not REAL literature. I should know, I spent a lot of tuition money so I could slog through unbearably torturous semesters in order to finely tune my literary intellect. So with those qualifications in mind, here is my list of books worthy of my expensively acquired literary acumen:

(1) Those that have pages, which are necessary for...
(2) Words. I like them. Especially when they are strung together in coherent sentences that make me smile, laugh, or cry. Sometimes all at the same time. And finally, none would be complete without being...
(3) Bound with a cover. Otherwise reading under a tree in the park on a windy day would suck.

Seriously though, if it ever gets to you again, remember this:

"There Is A Voice Inside Of You
That Whispers All Day Long,
I Feel That This Is Right For Me,
I Know That This Is Wrong.
No Teacher, Preacher, Parent, Friend
Or Wise Man Can Decide
What's Right For You- Just Listen To The Voice That Speaks Inside."
- Shel Silverstein

Hang in there, and happy reading to you too!

Lezlie said...

You guys are the best! I knew you'd all make me feel better. :-)

Lezlie

Pabast said...

Read what you like and like what you read. It does not matter what the book snobs say as long as you enjoy a book it is a classic.

I wrote about how I feel self conscious in my reading choices when I first started book blogging in November 2007 http://readingmama.blogspot.com/2007/11/self-conscious-in-reading choices.html I felt I did not belong in this world because of my choices, but I am like whatever. I will do this because I like to read what I read.

Sharon said...

What's really important is that you're reading. Never lose sight of that! And shame on those people who want to put you down because of it.

samantha.1020 said...

This made me laugh! Thanks for venting--I must say that I agree with you...

Lezlie said...

Pabast ~ I will definitely take a look at that post. I almost didn't start blogging because I wasn't sure I wanted to put my reading choices out there for scrutiny. I'm glad I finally did. And that you did, too!

Ex Libris & Samantha ~ Thanks! Thankfully there are more people like you out here in the blogosphere than those others. :-)

Lezlie

alisonwonderland said...

i heard about this post over on one of the Yahoo! groups and just had to come read it! well said!

Lezlie said...

Alison ~ Thanks! I'm glad you came to visit!

Pabast said...

Lezlie,
Thanks for your support. I also almost did not start blogging because of what I like to read. But there has to be room for me and you and our reading choices in the blogosphere.

I am glad that you started blogging. I do enjoy your blog.

Pabast

MoldyMuse said...

Gads. I can't believe how pompous some folks can be. They need get a life. I'd rather see someone reading a comic book as not reading. Who really cares what folks read, as long as they read? Besides, there have been studies done that show reading keeps your mind young, active and sharp as you get older. That's a good enough reason for me to keep flipping the pages. Thanks for putting a smile on my face, and for the giggles. ~~Moldy

SFP said...

I read those same comments elsewhere. People who think they're superior to others because they don't read contemporary fiction usually wind up sounding a bit constipated. ;)

Be glad you read a varied diet of books and don't let them faze you.

Lezlie said...

SFP ~ A varied book diet with lots of fiber is always highly recommended to ward off the Book Snob Syndrome. :-)

Lezlie

Lezlie said...

Muse ~ (I just can't bring myself to call you "Moldy") Anytime I can provide smiles and giggles, I'm happy! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment!

Lezlie