NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Tuesday, February 12, 2008

THE COURTS OF LOVE

by Jean Plaidy



The Courts of Love is the story of Eleanor of Aquitaine. It is written as if these are her memoirs, so the story is also of her husbands, King Louis of France and Henry II of England, their children, including King Richard and King John, and England's long rivalry with France.

I love Jean Plaidy's books. I'm not so much enamored of the writing itself. While it's engaging, many of the characters seem little more than paper dolls moved around to illustrate the actions of historical personages. And in this case, I didn't find Eleanor to be a particularly likeable person. However, my personal reason for reading her novels is that I love learning about history via fictionalizations of real people and events. For some reason, I find it easier to remember who's who when it's attached to fiction. Plaidy's books are more interesting than a straight non-fiction history book (with exceptions, of course!), but usually not so dramatic that it's annoying. She pretty much tells things in a straight forward manner with a little intrigue for good measure. (Did the two kings really . . .?? Nah! Did they?? Hmmmmm . . .) And there is just enough detail to get the big picture and decide if you would like to dig deeper in the future or if that's enough to satisfy your curiosity. I knew little to nothing about the reign on Henry II or Eleanor herself when I read this, and I finally have a few more blanks filled in regarding my knowledge of medieval England. Mission accomplished. But I am going out to Wikipedia right now to see if I can find out if that story line about the two kings is true or just an intriguing use of literary license!

Lezlie

4 comments:

Pabast said...

Lezlie,

I also love Jean Plaidy Books. I will read Courts of Love for the TBR Challenge. I can't wait to read the book after reading your review. Have you read any of her Tudors books? I did enjoy them and they got me to read about the lives of Henry VIII wives.

PaBast

Lezlie said...

Hi, PaBast! I read the two books in "The Tudor Princesses" series, and I plan to read a lot more of them. I have a soft spot for Tudor fiction. I keep thinking that might be a cool theme for a future Challenge! It wasn't until I read "The Autobiography of Henry VIII" by Margaret George that I was able to keep straight all his wives and their fates.

Enjoy "The Courts of Love"!
Lezlie

Pabast said...

Lezlie,

I think a Tudor Challenge would be great. Have you come across the Royalty Rules Challenge. It is being hosted by Magic of Ink. All you have to read is 2-4 books related to sometype of royalty by April 30. Here is the web address http://inkmagic.blogspot.com/2008/01/royalty-rules.html I am participating, but I am still deciding on my books.

Pabast

Lezlie said...

I've seen that there is a Royalty Rules Challenge, but I haven't checked it out, since I had so many Challenges I was already doing. It looks like I could fit it in, though, without even altering my list of 100+ books I've committed to reading this year. I'll go look at it now!

Thanks!!
L.