NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Saturday, March 7, 2009

Reading Notes


I believe Cabin Fever is officially setting in. It's all I can do to sit down with a book for more than fifteen minutes. If it weren't for audiobooks, I'd be getting nothing read at all! I'm on about Day 10 with The Confessions of Nat Turner, and that's not a reflection on the book. Today is the first time I have spent an extended period with it, and it really is a good book. It did win the Pulitzer Prize after all. But any book that takes more than a week for me to read tends to suffer from my weird need to move on to the next book, no matter how good the one I'm reading might be. Maybe it's an affliction that stems from being surrounded by hundreds of TBR's. I don't know. Anyway, poor Nat Turner is not getting the benefit of my undivided attention. I hate when that happens.

On the audio front, my commute book is an entertaining story of the creation of the Oxford English Dictionary entitled The Meaning of Everything. It has kindled in me a deep desire to own the entire print version of the OED. All twenty volumes. How fun would that be??? Unfortunately, the price tag is a bit hefty at $975. It may have to wait for awhile since spring is on its way and I have my heart set on a laptop so I can blog to that same heart's content out on the patio soon! :-)

I'm also listening to Wuthering Heights and I have a question for those of you who have read it already. Do Heathcliffe and Catherine ever become likable? Don't get me wrong. I'm about 1/5-1/4 into the book and I like it a lot, but I'm finding the lead characters strangely annoying. I know that doesn't make any sense, but reading can be like that, can't it? :-)

OK, I'm going back to Nat Turner before I have to leave him alone again to go cheer on my Wolves. Happy Reading, Everyone!



7 comments:

Tasha said...

It's been some years since I read Wuthering Heights, but I watched the Masterpiece Theatre version not too long ago, and I didn't care for Heathcliffe or Catherine either, at least not once their relationship became complicated.

Lezlie said...

Charley ~ I'm glad it's not just me. I kind of felt bad about it at first.

Lezlie

Anonymous said...

Funny but I suffer from the "need to move on to the next book, no matter how good the one I'm reading might be" as well. I'm so glad I'm not alone.

As for Heathcliffe and Catherine they're not the most likeable couple and I enjoyed disliking Heathcliffe enormously!

Lezlie said...

Books Please ~ Nope, you're not alone at all. :-) And I think you have a great idea there. I just need to embrace my dislike. I think I'll do that! :-)

Lezlie

Susan said...

I hated Catherine after she married Lindley - I disagreed with the whole marriage, her turning her back on her love, then the way she behaved.....I thought she was loathsome and insipid.....the best moment for me is in one of the Thursday Next novels where Heathcliff has an anger management class and someone admits they really wanted to shoot Catherine. Hurrah! I cheered. It's not just me!! So if you can get through it, congratulations. I think i ended up liking the book for the moors and the isolation, which now that I've been to Haworth, I completely understand too.

Cabin fever is awful, isn't it? we've had two days of warm weather and it's been fantastic. Not to last long though, snow tonight. I wish I could get more read too! Before the weather turns nice and I can get into the garden.

Susan said...

sorry, I thought you were further into the book! oh gosh, I'm so sorry......I didn't mean to spoil the plot...

Lezlie said...

Susan ~ I haven't read the Thursday Next novels, but I love his Nursery Crimes books! Funny that he put Heathcliffe in anger management class, because that's exactly what I was thinking he needed. :-) And no problem at all about the spoiled plot. A lot of times with classics I find it equally as enjoyable if I already know what is going to happen and can just explore the path in getting there. :-)

Lezlie