NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Sunday, March 15, 2009

Lifelong Learning Project: My Personal Mission Statement



Questions from my readers and some other friends had me sitting at the dining room table this evening, pen in hand, asking myself, "What is my real goal with this 'self-education' thing?" "I want to learn" is great, but I knew I needed a better answer even just for myself. This education means more to me than that. I needed something I could look at and live by, something that would begin a path I could follow from now until my time runs out. And here it is:



LIFELONG LEARNING PROJECT PERSONAL MISSION STATEMENT

To provide myself a broad, liberal, literature-focused education using books, both fiction and nonfiction, online and audio educational tools, and utilizing my blog as a virtual classroom to encourage interaction with other readers.

Because this is a
Lifelong Learning Project, there is no final Ultimate Goal, but I will create a set of general, fluid goals each year and support them with alterable quarterly plans and more concrete monthly plans as I identify individual educational themes I would like to actively pursue.

I will read literature and texts pertaining to the chosen themes and seek out additional tools to expand and build upon my reading.

I will regularly post my discoveries, thoughts and conclusions on Books 'N Border Collies, encourage interaction with my readers and respond to all comments left by you, my virtual classmates.




Welcome to my Lifelong Learning Project! My next immediate goal will be to post those "general, fluid goals" for 2009, my second quarter "alterable" plan and my "more concrete" plan for the rest of March and April. I'll have that up by the end of the week. I have to think about that for a bit! :-)

Happy learning, everyone!



20 comments:

Eva said...

What a great mission statement Lezlie!! I think it's great. :)

Susan said...

Very cool, Lezlie. A mission statement for learning. You are right, I do think that we need some sort of shape to our learning, if we are going to explore themes or science or something - different ways of approaching the topic. I really look forward to seeing this journey you're taking!

Susan said...

PS thanks for answering my question! :-D

Lezlie said...

Eva ~ Thanks! It's hard not to get wordy with those. :-)

Susan ~ You're welcome! Your question prompted me to finally start organizing what I'm doing, so thank you! I'm excited to have the opportunity to share my experiences!

Lezlie

JoAnn said...

I love that you have a mission statement! This is a very ambitious plan and I look forward to following your progress. Thanks for writing this post.

Lisa said...

Lifelong learning is such an important part of life for me. I haven't gotten that specific with my goals, yet. I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Serena said...

great mission statement and I look forward to your insights!

Lezlie said...

JoAnn ~ Thanks! Just writing it has already helped. :-)

Lisa ~ If only everyone felt that way about learning, the world would be a much different kind of place. I look forward to seeing your goals someday, too!

Serena ~ This is going to be great fun to share with all of you!

Lezlie

Jo-Jo said...

Thank you for sharing your mission statement with us Lezlie! I love the sound of a Lifelong Learning Project and look forward to being your virtual classmate!

Daphne said...

What a great idea! I might give some thought to doing something similar (although maybe not as formal as an actual mission statement!).

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

excellent Lezlie - thanks for sharing this with all of us!

Lezlie said...

Jo-Jo ~ You're welcome! Thank *you* for sharing the experience with me going forward!

Daphne ~ I have made sure to add you to my Reader so I can cheer you on when you do. :-)

Heather ~ You're welcome! You guys have me very anxious to get home and get working on those yearly, quarterly and monthly plans!

Lezlie

Terri B. said...

Well done on the mission statement! I like the fluidity of setting learning at one's own pace; but you are right in providing yourself with some structure and purpose. The mission statement is a great idea for providing some purpose.

Lezlie said...

Terri ~ Yes, structure was *sadly* lacking. I get lots of reading done, but, like the 96 college credits I do have, very little of it was focused in a useful manner. I'm glad you guys like it!

Lezlie

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

That is really great! I confess that I've had "write personal mission statement" on my To Do list since I read 7 Habits (for the first time) back in 1999! How pathetic! Can I just use yours?

Kidding. But I really am inspired by your conscious effort to use your blog in a constructive manner. Mine sometimes feels like book-related navel gazing. Or literary crack, they way I can't stop playing with it. You've got me thinking differently . . . my gears are turning . . .

Lezlie said...

Rose City Reader ~ You're more than welcome to use mine or any part of or ideas from it that you would like! I completely understand how you feel. I wanted to be part of the community, but retain a unique voice. I'm still experimenting, but I think I've finally hit on something that is really special to me and hopefully still entertaining for other readers. I love reading your blog the way it is now. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Lezlie

Rebecca Reid said...

That is a great mission statement! How are you choosing the books to go with it?

Lezlie said...

Rebecca ~ Thank you! I will be choosing the books as I go along to fit whatever projects I come up with. For example, I will be reading all the books for the four Teaching Company lit courses I recently received, and I also have some themed ideas forming in my head that I'm searching out reading for. Sometimes I discover books first and plan around them.

Much of this LLP idea came from a desire to structure some of my reading in a manner that would provide a feeling of more formal learning, rather than just completely reading willy nilly. But some of the specifics will inevitably end up being subject to certain whims. :-)

Lezlie

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Your mission statement is an interesting concept. I can't wait to see what you have in mind for 2010 (For me ratings are important...I have a 3 strikes your out policy with authors).

Lezlie said...

Diane ~ I am working hard to finish up my 2009 Challenges so I can start right in on the 2010 plan, so you won't have to wait too long to see what's in the pipeline.

What is kind of funny about ratings is that even though I don't like to use them myself, I *do* pay attention to ratings that others give a book if they have a system they use. I just know my personal opinion can sway wildly over time, so it doesn't seem fair for me to rate, at least not upon immediately finishing a book.

Lezlie