NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Thursday, May 1, 2008

Booking Through Thursday




Quick! It’s an emergency! You just got an urgent call about a family emergency and had to rush to the airport with barely time to grab your wallet and your passport. But now, you’re stuck at the airport with nothing to read. What do you do??

And, no, you did NOT have time to grab your bookbag, or the book next to your bed. You were . . . grocery shopping when you got the call and have nothing with you but your wallet and your passport (which you fortuitously brought with you in case they asked for ID in the ethnic food aisle). This is hypothetical, remember. . .


Here's humiliating honesty: I would probably go get a couple of those trashy celebrity rags and look at the pics of the gorgeous dresses. I don't do that very often, but an emergency trip to the airport seems to be the perfect excuse. Disgusting, isn't it? :-)
____________________________________

Catching up from yesterday:

I went to Barnes & Noble and picked up a great load of "This time I'm serious!" books and magazines:

1) Fitness Magazine -- This is a nice general fitness magazine for when my attention span is questionable. They also have a great website loaded with fun information and great workout routines.

2) Oxygen Magazine -- More of a bodybuilding/fitness publication for women, I love looking at the pics of the fitness competitors in here. I know it's way too much muscle for many people, but I find it inspiring. If only I had that kind of discipline! This one is much more extreme than Fitness, but not on the level of Muscle & Fitness. This is the mag that makes me want to pump iron, run adventure races and compete in ultramarathons! I do understand, however, that the first one is the only one that stands a chance of actually happening. :-)

3) The Eat-Clean Diet -- I'm not deluded enough to think I could follow this eating plan to the letter, but the more of it I can incorporate for life, the better. Like vegetarianism, even part-time helps in so many ways both personal and public. There is also a website for this plan that is mostly marketing for the products, but there is a nice .pdf of a grocery list that I stuck on the refrigerator.

4) Younger Next Year for Women: Live Strong, Fit, and Sexy—Until You're 80 and Beyond -- One of our neighbors (who really does run adventure races) told us about this book last summer. I thought I'd give it a try. At one of our last agility trials, I watched an 85-year-old woman run her dog. I want to be her someday. Maybe I can run that ultramarathon when I'm 90! They have a website, too, but I haven't had a chance to investigate it much as of yet.

And last but not least, I couldn't resist this one. I was actually looking at books on running when I happened to glance at the upper shelf and found this little gem:

5) Fried Twinkies, Buckle Bunnies, & Bull Riders: A Year Inside the Professional Bull Riders Tour -- I love watching professional bull riding almost as much as love platform boots! The rest of the rodeo is pretty cool, too, but it's all about the bull riding for me. Those animals are the meaning of "mad, bad and dangerous to know". How could I possibly resist a behind the scenes peek? And thanks to Joy and the Non-Fiction Five Challenge, I have the perfect reason to run with the bulls!

As for my first-day progress on my goals: I actually went for two walks yesterday. One on the walking path at work during lunch (about 1 1/2 miles) and one with the dogs after supper by the lake (about 3 miles). And I got in a couple sets of crunches and push-ups with the exercise ball before bed. I had to wait until we put the dogs to bed, though, because Skye was very concerned about Mom lying on the floor and insisted on licking my face until I got up. :-)

And I got a "15% off" email coupon this morning from my favorite place to buy my platform boots! Destiny I tell you!! I'm thinking about this hot pink pair . . . (The coveted silver glitter ones from yesterday's post are sold by a different company.)

Have a great Thursday, everyone!
Lezlie


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, You got the right to read anything you want too!

Here is my BTT post!

Bridget said...

I love to read "shallow" magazines when I'm stressed - and airports have the best selection ...

Your exercise goals, etc. have inspired me to start today as well. Thanks!

Ramya said...

Thanks for the ecd grocery checklist..:) I'm going to see if I can shop healthy atleast once with such a check list!:)

Lezlie said...

Gautami ~ Thanks! And I'll be by to visit in just minute!

Bridget ~ Great! I'm glad you'll be joining in. It's so much easier to exercise with friends! :-)

Ramya ~ The biggest part of clean eating, from what I can tell at a quick flip through the book last night, is staying away from processed foods. This list provides a great place to start. Let me know how it goes for you!

Lezlie

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

haha!! Yes, those mags are great on the airplane too! I think they are designed for when you want to not think, but there are many times that that would work for me!!!

great BTT!

BooksPlease said...

I keep thinking I must exercise more and cut down on eating (well, a bit).

Animals are so funny when you start exercising/lying on the floor - Ben (my border collie/labrador cross) used to run round me and yes lick my face. Lucy (my current cat) tries to sit on me - it's just hopeless!

Lezlie said...

Bethany ~ Sometimes thinking is way overrated. ;-) Besides, I need to keep up with Angelina & Brad since I never hear from them anymore. Ha-ha!

Lezlie said...

Books Please ~ They are funny! I think their message is something along the lines of, "If you would just play more frisbee with me outside, you wouldn't need to do this!" :-)