NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Wednesday, May 14, 2008

This & That & A Great Vegan Recipe


Good Morning!

There is not a lot going on, but I wanted to make sure I thanked whomever it was that placed her/his Amazon order through my blog. I was so excited to see that! It was my first "sale" as an Associate. If I have any other readers who are Amazon Associates, please let me know! When I'm placing orders for myself, someone should benefit from it. And if you're placing orders, I would love it, of course, if you'd place them through Books 'N Border Collies!

Something I've wanted to mention are some interesting podcasts I've been listening to. Every couple of weeks Ann and Michael have a new book-related podcast on their site Books On The Nightstand. I've compiled quite a list of books they've discussed that I want to check out, and the last podcast about graphic novels was a lot of fun. Michael, an avid graphic novel reader, challenged Ann to read one and talk about it. To her surprise, she really liked it! Hop on over to their website and give them a listen!

And last but not least, I've mentioned a fabulous recipe for a mango/jalapeno stir-fry that Peter and I had a couple of weeks ago that was to die for. I share it with you here now. Enjoy!!


Crispy Tempeh with Mango and Jalapeno
(Vegan recipe from Veggie Life Magazine)

Makes 4 servings

A delightful sweet-and-sour dish that is simple, beautiful, and fast. Serve hot with rice, couscous or quinoa.

8 oz. tempeh, cut into 12 strips
1 tbsp peanut or safflower oil
1 cup chopped onion
3 large mangos, peeled, seeded and diced
1 jalapeno, seeds and membranes removed, cut into thin strips
2 tbsp white wine
1 to 2 tbsp peach or other fruity vinegar
1 tbsp cilantro
Salt and freshly groung pepper to taste

1. Heat wok or large skillet over high heat. Drizzle in oil, and stir-fry tempeh strips 2 to 3 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove strips, set aside on paper toweling, and sprinkle with salt.

2. Add onion to wok and stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes, until lightly browned. Add mango and jalapeno. Stir-fry 4 to 5 minutes, until fruit is very soft. Stir in wine and cook another minute, until wine is reduced. Add vinegar and stir-fry 30 seconds more. Remove from heat.

3. Arrange tempeh strips on a serving platter. Add cilantro, salt and pepper to the mango mixture. Toss briefly and spoon over tempeh strips.

Per Serving: 286 calories (26% from fat), 12g protein, 8g fat, 45g carbs, 9mg sodium, 0mg cholesterol, 7g fiber


And there you are! Tastes like cheating, but it's not!! And I made the prep a little easier when I cooked this by using a jar of pre-cut & peeled mango. I never can cut those right when they're fresh.

Happy eating!
Lezlie

4 comments:

Andi said...

It sounds SO GOOD. The produce stand down the street has mangos, so I'll be giving this one a try ASAP.

Lezlie said...

Andi ~ I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's wonderful! I can't wait to see what you think of it.

L.

Teddy Rose said...

This vegan recipe sounds wonderful! I'll have to give it a try. I bet it would also be good with smoked tofu instead of tempeh.

Thanks from a vegan reader!

Lezlie said...

Teddy Rose ~ I think you're right. It would be a great alternative!