NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Friday, May 2, 2008

1% Well-Read Challenge




Here's a Challenge I can easily get on board with, since I had wanted to read 50 off the list this year anyway! ;-)

From the Official Challenge site: The goal of this challenge is to read 10 books in 10 months from the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list. For you non-math people, 10 out of 1001 is approximately 1%, hence the title. The challenge will run from May 1, 2008 through February 28, 2009. You may change your list at any time and cross-posting to other challenges is permitted. The only requirement is that your ten book choices must be on the "1001 List".

The only changes I'll make for me personally is that I will end at the end of this year with the rest of my Challenges. Other than that, here is the list I plan to choose from, books read will be bolded as I finish them. (The full list I actually read is at the bottom of this post with a link to the review.)

Catch-22 -- Joseph Heller
Shindler's List -- Thomas Kenealy
Cry, The Beloved Country -- Alan Paton
Junky -- William S. Burroughs
The Power & The Glory -- Graham Greene
The Scarlet Letter -- Nathaniel Hawthorne
King Solomon's Mines -- H. Rider Haggard
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn -- Mark Twain
Petals of Blood -- Ngugi Wa Thiong'o
Theresa Raquin -- Emile Zola
Siddhartha -- Herman Hesse
Beowolf -- Anonymous
Pride & Prejudice -- Jane Austen
Crime & Punishment -- Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Jungle -- Upton Sinclair
The Master & Margarita -- Mikhail Bulgakov
Memoirs of Hadrian -- Marguerite Yourcenar
Breakfast of Champions -- Kurt Vonnegut


Now let's see what *actually* gets read! Ha! :-)

Happy Reading, Everyone, and have a great weekend!
Lezlie

The "actually read" list:

Completed: 10 of 10 as of Dec. 11, 2008 ** FINISHED **

1. King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard
2. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
3. Time's Arrow by Martin Amis
4. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
5. The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene
6. Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Paton
7. A Farewell To Arms by Ernest Hemingway
8. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
9. Crime & Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
10. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner


10 comments:

Justin Hamm said...

Lezlie -- this is a noble challenge; I hope you take it on.
I'll check in to catch up on your progress.

Lezlie said...

J.D. ~ Thanks! I've had fun with the list so far, and I'm looking forward to exploring the rest of it in the years to come. This challenge just gives me yet another reason to read off of it. :-)

Lezlie

Care said...

Yep, I might be able to get aboard this one, too. "Hey Care! Can't ya give just 1% ?!?!" hee hee.

I'm off to check that list now.

Lezlie said...

Care ~ Despite some of the nasty comments I have seen about this list on Amazon and some of the snootier blogs/websites, I just love the 1001 List. I've had a great time reading from it! I hope you like it, too!

Lezlie

Bellezza said...

I've always wanted to read Catch-22 (partly to understand the origin of the oft used phrase). Also, I don't think I've read enough Dostoyevsky. Your list seems a challenging, but very worthy, one. The only tough part about Challenges for me is the compulsive quality it gives to my reading, which I try to keep in the joyful category. That's why I can't commit to too many.

Lezlie said...

Bellezza ~ I agree! I can't seem to keep to my plan no matter how hard I try, but it doesn't seem to stop me from signing up for more! Oh, well. We're reading and having fun, and that can't be a bad thing whether we finish our silly challenges or not. :-)

Lezlie

1morechapter said...

Glad to have you on the 1% challenge! You've got a great list to choose from.

Michelle
1morechapter.com

Lezlie said...

Thanks, Michelle!
Lezlie

Shelley said...

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Catch-22--it's one of those that I couldn't get through, and I've wondered if I should try again.

Lezlie said...

Chain Reader ~ Hi! I plan on doing that one via audiobook, so I'm just waiting my turn from the library. I've been meaning to get to it for a long time.

Lezlie