NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Tuesday, May 20, 2008

INNOCENT TRAITOR

by Alison Weir



If you are a fan of Philippa Gregory, don't even bother with this review. Seriously. Just head out to your local library or bookstore (or click the "Buy from Amazon" link above), get your hands on Innocent Traitor: A Novel of Lady Jane Grey, and settle in for royal scheming, amibition and betrayal as only Tudor England can so consistently provide.

I loved this book! It was so reminiscent of The Boleyn Inheritance with its various narrators that I felt like I was reading it again, but without the benefit of being positive how it ended. While I had my suspicions, I was blissfully ignorant of the fate of Lady Jane Grey until the end of the book. And I thought Jane was portrayed magnificently. Though she is painfully young upon her brief ascension to the throne, the story of her upbringing allows you to believe her amazing maturity and intelligence in dealing with her unwanted and unwelcome circumstances. My heart ached for her.

Lezlie

Other fiction by Alison Weir:




See my review for The Lady Elizabeth here.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh thank you! Our library has both. I have been looking for some books like this. I don't have the time right now, but I will in a couple of months. :)

Yeah!!

Lezlie said...

J. Kaye ~ It will be worth the wait. I'm anxious to get my hands on the next one. I think it's in cataloging at the library right now.

L.

Linda/CT said...

Hi Lezlie....luckily, I have this at hand TBR. Will get to it soon. Linda

Veronica said...

i LOVE phillippa gregory. and i'm just about finished reading all her tudor novels (though there's another coming out soon!!!) so it's so great finding a new historical fiction author just as good.

Lezlie said...

Linda ~ I can't wait to see what you think of it!

Veronica ~ I forgot she has a new on coming, too. Thanks for reminding me! I think you'll like this one a lot.

Pabast said...

I am so glad that you read it. It was a great book. My daughter gave me Lady Elizabeth for my birthday and it looks good. I will read it soon.

I just started The Virgin's Lover By Philippa Gregory. It is about Queen Elizabeth I and Sir Robert Dudley. Yes, he is related to the Dudley's involved in The Lady Jane Grey affair. It seems his wife Amy is telling the story. It is looking good.

Lissa

Lezlie said...

Lissa ~ I saw on my big list I keep at home that I read The Virgin's Lover a year or so ago, but I don't remember it at all. Not a thing. That doesn't happen very often. Maybe I had "too many Tudors" going on and it all melded in with something else. I'll be looking for your review!

L.

Somer said...

I have this in my Audible library to listen to on my commute. This is the 2nd great review I've read of it!

Lezlie said...

Somer ~ I listened to this one also. I thought the readers were fabulous! I'm thinking the woman who reads Jane Grey's part also read Katherine Howard's part in The Boleyn Inheritance. It sounded just like her.

L.

Somer said...

I know that Davina Porter does at least some of the narration (I hope I remember that right!). She narrated the Outlander series, of which I've listened to two, and she is just a fabulous reader!

Anonymous said...

I know right?? I LOOOVE both Alison Weir & Philippa Gregory!!

Lezlie said...

Monica ~ You can't go wrong with those two! :-)

L.

Katherine said...

Its amazing how two people can have two completely different views! I didn't like this one. But that was just me.

Lezlie said...

Hi, Katherine! Did you write a review for it? I'd love to hook it up here! I looked on your blog, but I didn't find one. It's nice to be able to see opposing thoughts, because we all look for different things in our reading.

L.