NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Library Love!


I did it again. I went nuts at the library. Apparently I am under the impression that I don't have enough at home to read. Whatever. I'm going to go with it. As J. Kaye told me, I'm on a roll! I'm having delusions of reading 150 books this year. I've never even come close to that before. Hmmmm. . .

While I mull that over, here is what I brought home from my local library:

The Romanov Bride by Robert Alexander
The Swallows of Kabul by Yasmina Khadra
The Attack by Yasmina Khadra
The Sirens of Baghdad by Yasmina Khadra
Time's Arrow by Martin Amis
The Nature of Monsters by Clare Clark
A History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters by Julian Barnes
The Rossetti Letter by Christi Phillips

I may not actually get to them all, but since I've been coveting them for weeks at the bookstore, it made me feel better to get them to my house where I can make less expensive decisions about them. :-) I don't think I'll do the "First Chapters" project on them this time, because I can probably read half of these in the time it would take me to do that. If you're curious about any of the books listed, let me know! I'll put them closer to the top of the pile.

Happy Reading!
Lezlie

15 comments:

joanna said...

I know the feeling - I'm going to the second-hand bookstore tomorrow. And you can hardly get off Bookmooch these days. ;-) It's nice to have all these lovely books at home with you!

I haven't read ant of these, but heard that The Swallows of Kabul is excellent - someone recommended it to me after I was blown away by The Bookseller of Kabul... never got around to reading it though, I'd be interested in knowing what you make of it!

Ann Kingman said...

Great choices! I love all 3 of Yasmina Khadra's books. I haven't read the others, but Time's Arrow is on my 'read someday' list.

zetor said...

I am exactly the same . Came back yesterday with 2 gardening books , The House of Death (Paul Doherty) , I heard that song before(Mary Higgins Clark), After Midnight (Susan Sallis) and The Cross legged Knight(strange title! lol)by Candace Robb.There are loads in the house still to be read!!!

Lezlie said...

Joanna ~ I have to get The Romanov Bride back the earliest, but the Khadra books will be next for sure, so I should have something for you soon!

Ann ~ Time's Arrow looked so odd that I couldn't resist! :-)

Zetor ~ They will all be there in case we can't get to the library, right? :-)

L.

raidergirl3 said...

awesome. I think library books are easier to read because they give you a deadline; the books by my bed will still be there next month.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Barnes book. I read it last year and liked it. Swallows of Kabul was just OK for me.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, oh wow, oh WOW! You are on a roll! And I think you are rubbing off on my...lol! Keep it up!

Pabast said...

I also went to the library on Sat. I had my daughters with me. I did not get the time to browsen that I would have liked to , so I checked out two books for the historical fiction challenge.

FYI my eldest daughter who is 11, checked out three books and she is done already, wants to go back on Sat. again. Those were the days when one could read all the time. Sigh

lissa

Somer said...

Oh, I almost picked up The Nature of Monsters a while back when I found it on the bargain table at B&N. I'd love to hear what you think of it!

Lezlie said...

RaiderGirl ~ I was just thinking that the other day. Having that deadline gives the book a much higher probability of actually getting read. Meanwhile, the TBR monster waits and grows . . . :-)

J. Kaye ~ I'll be a happy girl if I can keep up this pace!

Lissa ~ Good for her! It's good to hear of another addict in the making. Will we be seeing a blog from her soon? :-)

Somer ~ I have been obsessed with The Nature of Monsters since I happened to run across it at Borders a few weeks ago. I so hope it's as good as it looks!

Kara said...

I absolutely LOVE going to the library. And you are right about being on a deadline makes the books move higher in the stack.

They always laugh when I go because I have about a dozen different due dates and when the sheet of paper prints out with all my books it just keeps going and going...LOL

Lezlie said...

Kara ~ I have to print mine out, too. Otherwise I'd never remember which ones I got first. And just to make it more confusing, I'm forever renewing books! :-)

Pabast said...

Lezlie,

She actually got me into blogging. She has a school blog. It was fun watching her. To see her confidence in blogging about the things that were important to her and not caring. I was like if she could do it, why not me. So I took the plunge.

Lissa

Lezlie said...

Lissa ~ That's so cool! I'm glad she pulled you in.

Anonymous said...

I read Time's Arrow years ago, and I loved the premise. I don't remember if the payoff was great, but the journey there was pretty interesting, from what I remember. It's one of those books that stands out in my mind. I have London Fields by Amis, but have yet to read it.

Lezlie said...

Reading Fool ~ For some reason, the idea of that book just fascinates me. I can't wait to get to it!

L.