NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Sunday, November 23, 2008

SLAUGHTERHOUSE-FIVE

by Kurt Vonnegut



How does one summarize and review Slaughterhouse-Five? The answer for me is, I don't. I just don't go there. Suffice it to say there is a reason this book is studied in Lit classes.

I will say this, however. I bought the first twelve or thirteen of Kurt Vonnegut's books last summer. I have only one left to read, and I have not a bad word to say about any of them. Many are very, very odd, but I enjoyed each and every one while marveling at Vonnegut's observations of the absurdity of human behavior. I am looking forward to eventually reading the rest. Not too quickly though. I don't want to run out too soon!



12 comments:

Andi said...

Holy crapoli, Lezlie! You're reading all the classics that are sitting unread on my shelves lately. LOL I'm glad you liked this one (and his others). I really need to bump it up in the stack.

Joy said...

I have not read a Vonnegut book yet. Which one would you say is your favorite thus far?

Michele at Reader's Respite said...

Jeepers, Lezlie...you are really going through these! Good for you!

Lezlie said...

Andi ~ I have a lot of catching up to do with classics! I never read any of this stuff in high school.

Joy ~ That's a tough question. Off the top of my head, I would say "Mother Night". It's not one of his most popular, but it's the one I find myself thinking about the most often. "Cat's Cradle" is another. "Welcome To The Monkey House" is all short stories, if you want to try that route.

Michele ~ Thanks to audio books, long commutes, and the ability to listen at work. :-)

Lezlie

Joy said...

Thank you, Lezlie. I've written them down. :)

Lezlie said...

Joy ~ You're welcome! I'll be curious what you think of him when you read one.

Lezlie

joanna said...

I'm also a Vonnegut-newbie - you're making him sound very intriguing.

Lezlie said...

Joanna ~ You definitely should try Vonnegut. I think you would like him!

Lezlie

Jeanette said...

I have had Kurt Vonnegut books on my list to read for a long time but have yet to read one. Maybe in 2009!?!

Lezlie said...

Jeanette ~ You should! He's very entertaining and gives you a lot to think about.

Lezlie

Teddy Rose said...

I really should re-read this book someday. I loved it way back in high school!

Lezlie said...

Teddy Rose ~ Have you read any others of his? They're all interesting at the very least.

Lezlie