NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Sunday, November 23, 2008

THE BODIES LEFT BEHIND

by Jeffery Deaver



When a 911 call is oddly disconnected, Deputy Brynn McKenzie is sent to the remote vacation home from which it originated to investigate. But the routine call quickly becomes something very different when Brynn unknowingly interrupts the getaway of murderers.

The Bodies Left Behind is not part of Deaver's popular Lincoln Rhyme series but is a stand-alone novel. I didn't think this was as good as the Rhyme books, but that is my own personal bias. I love that series! But for a reader new to Deaver's writing, Bodies would be a great introduction to him. It has all the quick pacing and bizarre plot twists, but without the intricate science of Rhyme's forensics. There isn't even a lot of police work. I would probably label this one more of a "thriller" than a "mystery". Some of the action is a little over the top, but it's a good chilly-night/camped-on-the-couch read.



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unbelievably, I haven't read any of Deaver's books.

Lezlie said...

Bermudaonion ~ He's actually quite good! I prefer the Lincoln Rhyme books, but I've not been disappointed in the few stand-alones I've read. If you want to try the series, "The Bone Collector" is first.

Lezlie

Darlene said...

I've never read any of his books either but I've heard of him. Sounds like they may be quite good though.

Thoughts of Joy said...

I've read a few Lincoln Rhyme and stand-alones and really like Deaver. He is another author that I can't wait to get back to in 2009.

Lezlie said...

Dar ~ Definitely give him a try! I think you'd like him.

Joy ~ Aren't Lincoln and Amelia just great? :-)

Lezlie

Ladytink_534 said...

I've read The Bone Collector but that's the only Deaver book for me.

Lezlie said...

Ladytink ~ That is still one of the best.

Lezlie

trish said...

I just finished this book a week or two ago and was searching for other people who'd reviewed this book. I'll definitely be picking up The Bone Collector, since I thought The Bodies Left Behind was fantastic, and if you say this book isn't his best, then I'm giddy over what his other work must be like. :-)

Lezlie said...

Trish ~ I can't wait to see what you think of the Rhyme books!

Lezlie