NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Wednesday, January 23, 2008

2008 TBR Challenge

I promised myself (and Peter) that if I decided to commit to these reading challenges, I would use the opportunity to clean off some of my "to be read" shelves rather than just to create reasons to go to the bookstore. I hesitated on the actual TBR Challenge only because I was so focused on the 1001 Books Project. But there are more books in the world! (And on my shelves . . .) Therefore, here we go:

** FINISHED **
Completed: List 7/12, Alternates: 5/12 as of Dec. 23, 2008

The List:

The Orchard Keeper -- Cormac McCarthy
Mrs. Dalloway -- Virginia Woolf
Catch-22 -- Joseph Heller
The Power & The Glory -- Graham Greene

Beowulf -- Anonymous
Things Fall Apart -- Chinua Achebe
The Courts of Love -- Jean Plaidy
The Historian -- Elizabeth Kostova
The Borgia Bride -- Jeanne Kalogridis
The Praise Singer -- Mary Renault
I, Claudius -- Robert Graves
Tides of War -- Steven Pressfield

Alternates:

Light In August -- William Faulkner
Outer Dark --Cormac McCarthy
Shindler's List -- Thomas Keneally
Petals of Blood -- Ngugi Wa Thiong'o
Siddhartha -- Herman Hesse
Cry, The Beloved Country -- Alan Paton
The Queen's Secret -- Jean Plaidy
In The Company Of The Courtesan -- Sarah Dunant
The Queen of Subtleties -- Suzannah Dunn
Practical Demonkeeping -- Christopher Moore
Another Roadside Attraction -- Tom Robbins
Cards On The Table -- Agatha Christie

Some apply to the 1001, some I've had sitting around forever and it's time to make room for a new batch. :-) I'm also considering the 888 Challenge to help clear my backlog. Hmmmmm. . .

I'm in!
Lezlie

3 comments:

Shelley said...

Great selections! I love Graham Greene, and the writing in Cry, The Beloved Country is very poetic. I'm anxious to hear your reviews.

Lezlie said...

Thanks! I've had The Power & The Glory on my shelf forever. Even though I really, really wanted to read it, I kept getting distracted. That's probably the story on most of the books we've all chosen for this. :-)

MizB said...

Hey, Lezlie -- thanks for joining in on the 2008 TBR Challenge! The Mr.Linky is there now -- I had to add a new one since the old one was apparently "full". It's in the same post as the previous one, on the official challenge blog.