NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Monday, June 9, 2008

THE NATURE OF MONSTERS

by Clare Clark



England, 1718: When Eliza is spurned by the father of her unborn child, her unscrupulous mother sends her to London to live as a maid in the household of an apothecary. Believing she is there to have her "situation" quietly taken care of, Eliza slowly comes to learn that the reason she has been taken in is infinitely more sinister.

If you like your historicals dark and creepy, look no farther. Every member of the apothecary's household makes your skin crawl, and the descriptions of the life of common people in early 18th century London make you want to shower every time you put the book down -- assuming that you can put the book down. The Nature of Monsters is not for those looking for the quick thrill of literary horror. The reader of this book will plumb the depths of depraved souls and stare into the eyes of true evil.

Lezlie

Click here for the mini-site for The Nature of Monsters.

Other Opinions:

Jaimie at Bell Literary Reflections

Other Clare Clark Books I've Read:

The Great Stink

14 comments:

Andi said...

This sounds really great! Enabler!

Lezlie said...

Andi ~ It took me a little while to get into it, because I'm not kidding about how creepy it is. But I couldn't put it down all weekend!

Lezlie

J.C. Montgomery said...

As long as its creepy and not gory...I'm good!

Thanks for a wonderful review. Hmm. Another for the TBR shelf..uh shelves.

Lezlie said...

Hi, J.C.! Not gory. Your imagination is left to it's own devices.

L.

Anonymous said...

Another one for me too! (Drats) Thanks, Lezlie!

Terri B. said...

Sounds like a good one for the next time I'm in a mood for creepy. Thanks for the review; I hadn't heard of this one yet.

Teddy Rose said...

Sounds like it may be a little too creep for me, but great review!

Tasha said...

Shivers. This sounds creepy. I like the title.

Anonymous said...

You've left me with one word...wow.

Lezlie said...

Chartroose ~ I'm glad it sounds good to so many! I was afraid I'd scare everybody off. :-)

Terry ~ I just happened to run across it while I was browsing. I'm glad I did!

Teddy Rose ~ When I write my reviews, I try to keep in mind that not everybody will like every book and draw attention to what may either make or break the decision to read it. I loved the book, but I wanted to make sure people knew what they'd be getting themselves into. It's great for some, and not appealing at all to others. I'm glad you like the review though! :-)

Charley ~ I agree. It was the title that got me to pick it up.

J. Kaye ~ That must mean I'm doing my job correctly. :-) Thank you much!

Somer said...

I knew Nature of Monsters sounded like it was up my alley! That one definitely stays on the wishlist.

Lezlie said...

Somer ~ I'm very curious to see other bloggers thoughts on this one. I hope you like it!

Lezlie

Jane said...

Perfect! It's just what I'm looking for! I mentioned it after your comment on my blog about it, but I will link to this when I do my review.
Have a great week!

Lezlie said...

Jamie ~ I will link your review once it's done, too. You have a great week also!

L.