NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Friday, June 27, 2008

HIS EXCELLENCY: GEORGE WASHINGTON

by Joseph J. Ellis



If you're looking for a biography of this American icon that is both readable and of a digestible length, His Excellency: George Washington fits the bill. Unlike John Adams, it sticks to George and doesn't give a lot superfluous details about other people when they don't pertain to the event at hand. Which means we don't learn a lot about Martha, but if a person is interested, there are plenty of books out about her. I found the author's style of writing very accessible, so I will be looking into more of Joseph J. Ellis' books when it comes time for me to read more American history.



4 comments:

joanna said...

Hi Lezlie! This look interesting, thanks. It's great when you can find books about history that are written in a normal-people-friendly way, if that makes sense!

Lezlie said...

Hi! It does make sense. I have a mental block with non-fiction history. They can be soooooo dry, and my mind wanders. I can't seem to absorb anything. This one kept on point, and I think I actually learned a few things! :-)

Lezlie

Teddy Rose said...

Thanks for the recomendation! I added it to my TBR.

Lezlie said...

Teddy Rose ~ This author has other American history books that look very readable also. I'll probably read his biography of Thomas Jefferson.

L.