NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Tuesday, December 30, 2008

THE INTELLECTUAL DEVOTIONAL: AMERICAN HISTORY

by David S. Kidder and Noah D. Oppenheim



Like its predecessor, The Intellectual Devotional: American History is modeled after daily spiritual devotionals. With daily one-page readings from seven different fields of knowledge such as American Literature, Politics, War and Business, a few minutes each evening was all it took to broaden my personal education in the history of the United States.

This is the second volume in the series, and Peter and I have spent every evening for the last two years enjoying these daily doses of intellectual trivia. The volume for the coming year is The Intellectual Devotional: Modern Culture, and it is on my nightstand as I write. I hope this series continues for a long time to come!



8 comments:

Morgan the Muse said...

That sounds cool. I love American History, and Trivia!

Eva said...

I've always been curious about the first one-good to know you enjoy them!

Michele said...

Lezlie - I have never heard of these before and I'm just intrigued! They sound like something I would love, so I'm going to track these down and start in on them. I love things that can be enjoyed in doses (and not just pharmaceuticals, ha ha).

Lezlie said...

Morgan ~ I love this kind of stuff, too. These have been a treasure for Trivial Pursuit junkies. :-)

Eva ~ The first one was *really* cool! That had a little bit of everything.

Michele ~ Definitely do! You'll love them. I learn something new on every page, even on topics I thought I knew!

Lezlie

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fascinating! I am intrigued by these, oh yes.

Lezlie said...

Bkclubcare ~ We started the new one the other night, and it's been just as fun as the previous two. They're so worth it!

Lezlie

Veronica said...

This sounds so cool! Thanks for telling us all about them!

Lezlie said...

Veronica ~ They are very cool! If you pick one up, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. :-)

Lezlie