NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Saturday, December 27, 2008

A CHRISTMAS CAROL

by Charles Dickens



Town crank Ebenezer Scrooge is visited by the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Yet To Come, and is taught the true spirit of Christmas.

I had never read A Christmas Carol previously, nor had I ever seen the movie, so I got to go into it with a fairly clean mental slate. The story was pretty much what I expected, but for some odd reason I was surprised at how delighted I was by the writing itself. Maybe I thought it was going to be more cumbersome, but that was not at all the case. It's easy to see why many readers revisit this classic every holiday season.



9 comments:

Ana S. said...

I remember also really enjoying the writing itself :)

Lezlie said...

Nymeth ~ I think because the only other Dickens book I've read is "A Tale of Two Cities", I was expecting something heavier.

Lezlie

Ladytink_534 said...

I read this for the first time this year too!

Andi said...

I've only read it a few times, but I love the basic story and its myriad adaptations. I'm especially fond of A Muppet Christmas Carol and the Blackadder Christmas Carol I watched on BBC America a few days ago. Glad you enjoyed it!

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I haven't seen the movie the entire way through I don't think...sometimes I come into the middle or near the end, other times the beginning and manage to not finish it...as for the book, I can't say that I've read it.

Lightheaded said...

Sadly I never read any Charles Dickens :( I'm familiar with the story because of the countless adaptations I've seen since I was a child but maybe it's time to pick this up (while I'm still in holiday mood, the Christmas season lasts up to early January here for the Three Kings' Feast).

Lezlie said...

Ladytink ~ Wasn't it fun? I'm glad I'm not the only one who has gotten this far without ever reading it.

Andi ~ I'm betting I would love A Muppet Christmas Carol. I adore The Muppets!!

Shelley ~ It's a super-quick read. You could fit it right in before dinner. :-)

Lightheaded ~ I just read my first Dickens this year. I'm on my third one now, and I'm definitely developing an affection for his writing. If you have a chance, you should pop this into your reading schedule. It's a great introduction to him.

Lezlie

Literary Feline said...

I have seen just about every movie version made of this book, and yet have not read the book. I really must remedy that. The only Dickens I have read so far is Oliver Twist, which I did enjoy quite a bit. Thanks for the great review!

Lezlie said...

Literary Feline ~ Oliver Twist is high on my list of Dickens books to get to sooner than later. I always hear good things about that one.

Lezlie