NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Sunday, December 28, 2008

HOLIDAYS ON ICE

by David Sedaris



A short collection of the author's best holiday essays.

For me, Holidays on Ice served as the perfect post-Christmas casual afternoon read. A couple of them contain some pretty grim humor that might bother some readers (specifically I'm thinking of "Season's Greetings To Our Friends and Family!!!"), but overall I greatly enjoyed this collection. The first essay, "SantaLand Diaries", is worth the price all by itself!



11 comments:

Andi said...

I hate that I didn't get around to this one yet, but I think I'd tackle it even outside of the holidays. Gotta love Sedaris any time of year! Maybe a nice Christmas in July read. hehe

Eva said...

Hi! You expressed interest in my World Citizenship Challenge, so I just wanted to let you know the blog is up and running. :)

Lezlie said...

Andi ~ This is definitely good for a laugh any time of year! :-)

Eva ~ Thanks!! I may have to lower my original sign-up level, but I'm still interested for sure!

Lezlie

Ladytink_534 said...

I've seen SO many reviews of this book this month. I'll probably add it to my list for next year.

Lezlie said...

Ladytink ~ I almost didn't bother to review it because of that. But it was fun to read! :-)

Lezlie

Anonymous said...

I listened to this and thought it was great too - my favorites were Santa Land Diaries and Jesus Shaves.

Lezlie said...

Bermudaonion ~ Jesus Shaves must have been an audio-extra. It's not in the book. Dang! :-)

Lezlie

Terri said...

This is becoming an annual tradition for me, to listen to H on Ice - nothing like the Santa's elf story to get you in the mood! I love his stuff, especially read by him.

Lezlie said...

Terri ~ I totally agree about listening to him read his own work. It's funny by itself, but with him reading, it's even better!

Lezlie

Darlene said...

I've heard many good things about this book but never did get to read it this year-maybe next year instead.

Lezlie said...

Dar ~ I think you'll like it when you get to it.

L.