NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Wednesday, May 7, 2008

JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH

by Jules Verne




While Journey to the Center of the Earth is an interesting book, it really didn't do much for me. I was hoping for a Treasure Island-like adventure tale or even a Jurrasic Park-like science lesson. It may have been one or both of these for some readers, but Axel's incessant whining throughout the entire narration drove me to distraction. And maybe I'm more of a wanna-be anthropologist than geologist. Even so, the story had it's moments and I did find some of the scientific arguments fascinating.

I wish I had a little more interesting insight for you on this one, but, alas, I do not. I see its value, but for me it's one of those that I'm glad I finally got around to, but I'm moving on now. . .

Lezlie

Other books by Jules Verne:



4 comments:

Heather said...

I read this years and years ago. I should pick it up again and find out if I have simialr feelings about it. I imagine myself as more of a anthropoligist too so maybe.

Lezlie said...

Heather ~ Let me know if you do. I'd love to know what you think of it!

Lezlie

John Mutford said...

I haven't read that one, but I read Around the World in 80 Days a long while back and remember enjoying it more than I anticipated. Did you read that one?

Lezlie said...

John ~ Not yet, but I plan on reading that and 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, which my husband said is fabulous.

L.