NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Friday, January 18, 2008

Bookstore v. Library

I'm not a big advocate of American "bigger, better, more" consumerism, a topic I'm sure will get me on my soapbox periodically, but when it comes to bookstores, I can barely control myself. In fact, I've pretty much stopped trying. Thankfully, Peter is very understanding.

When I started the "1001 Books" project, the big question was: Own or borrow? I started out with borrow, then my "book collector" gene kicked in. I don't smoke, I don't really drink, I'm not much of a fashionista. . . Correction: I'm not *at all* a fashionista. My free $$$ goes to my pets and my book collection. Don't get me wrong. I visit the library about once a week for audiobooks and all the murder mysteries I'll most likely never read again. I love browsing the shelves and checking out books I'm curious about. But Borders and Barnes & Noble are always happy to see me. It's supposed to be sub-zero all weekend here in the frozen tundra with hideous wind chills reaching -25. Brrrrr! That was enough reason to make me weekly bookstore trip last night and pick up 4 more "1001" titles:

Cry, The Beloved Country
The Thin Man
Red Harvest
Things Fall Apart

Barnes & Noble also has a "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" sale on their Barnes & Noble Classics. That little sale cost me a fortune last summer!! :-)

I predict a weekend of hot tea, warm blankets and great reading! (And hopefully a win for the Timberwolves! Hooowwwwlllllll! Go Wolves!)

Have a warm weekend, everyone!
Lezlie

No comments: