NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Sunday, December 21, 2008

ONE, TWO, BUCKLE MY SHOE

by Agatha Christie



Shortly after Hercule Poirot leaves his dentist's office, the dentist is found shot in an apparent suicide after a dental mistake kills a patient. But Poirot is unconvinced and leaves no stone unturned in an effort to prove murder.

One, Two, Buckle My Shoe contains the most complicated plotting I think I have seen in a Christie novel so far. I had a hard time believing Poirot's celebrated description of his methods and conclusions this time around. It was a little too convoluted for me. It's pretty ingenious, but I had a little trouble following it.

As much as I love Agatha Christie, I have to say that taking in ten of them nearly back to back may not be a highly recommended method of reading her books. I think I have three left to finish out the Anything Agatha Challenge, then I'll give her a respite. :-)



5 comments:

Eva said...

I just read this one under its alternate title of The Patriotic Murders. And there was definitely some insane plotting going down!!! lol

I agree-I love Christie, but I can only read so many of her books at once. Although, I can read many more Miss Marples than Poirots...too bad she wrote so many of the latter. :(

Michele said...

I haven't read this AC yet. I think I have it somewhere, but I'll have to dig it out.

I'm so glad you're reading and reviewing all of these. Are these part of an AC challenge somewhere?

Lezlie said...

Eva ~ Oh, good! I'm glad it wasn't just me being slow on the uptake. :-) I wish she had written more Tommy and Tuppence books. I like them the very best!

Michele ~ Yes. There was an Anything Agatha Challenge this year hosted by Thoughts of Joy. I let it get away from me for the whole year, so I'm trying to pack in all in now. Good thing they go quickly! :-)

Lezlie

Ladytink_534 said...

I've heard she has a few of these rhyming ones.

Lezlie said...

Ladytink ~ She does. "Crooked House" also makes use of a rhyme. There are a couple others also, including "And Then There Were None". It's fun to see how she puts it all together.

Lezlie