NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Friday, December 5, 2008

DUMB WITNESS

by Agatha Christie



Hercule Poirot receives a baffling letter requesting his assistance in a matter left unclear by the writer. When Poirot looks to find the source of the odd missive, he discovers the writer of the letter months dead and a host of relatives who had expected to benefit from her demise. The death appears to be of natural causes, but Poirot suspects otherwise.

Dumb Witness is a good, light read, but I don't think it's one of her best. I didn't find this case quite as engaging as some of the others. It's not at all a bad book. In fact, it's a fine way to pass an evening. However, with somewhere in the area of 90 mysteries to her credit, I would expect that there will be a couple here and there that I feel don't measure up to my personal favorites. This just happens to be one of them.

On the upside, this book sees the return of Captain Hastings, who has been absent in the last few Poirot mysteries I have read, and the terrier, Bob, is a treat for all dog lovers!



8 comments:

Literary Feline said...

You're right, there's bound to be one that doesn't quite live up to the rest when an author has written as much as Christie did. I don't think I've read this one yet.

I hope you are enjoying your Friday!

Lezlie said...

Literary Feline ~ I am, thank you! I hope you are, too!

Lezlie

Kelly said...

Great review, haven't read Christie in YEARS!

Lezlie said...

MyUtopia ~ Thank you! Christie is definitely an author you can depend on for good entertainment. She's like pizza. Even the "bad" books are pretty darn good! :-)

Lezlie

Ladytink_534 said...

I've only read two of Christie's books but I enjoyed them. I'm pretty sure that this one did make it into a film adaptation though!

Lezlie said...

Ladytink ~ I could see this one as a film. It would make a fun one!

Lezlie

1morechapter said...

I need to read a Christie mystery. I *think* I've read one (over 20 years ago!), but I'd like to read one in 2009.

Lezlie said...

3M ~ There are many to pick from! :-) I usually recommend "The Murder of Roger Akroyd". That is probably still my very favorite one.

Lezlie