NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Sunday, December 21, 2008

THE MOVING FINGER

by Agatha Christie



A rash of nasty anonymous letters sends the quiet village of Lymstock into an uproar, especially when a prominent citizen appears to commit suicide after receiving one. But once murder makes an appearance, it's Miss Marple to the rescue!

I think The Moving Finger is my favorite Miss Marple book so far. The odd thing is, she is barely in it! The story is told from first person point of view by a man convalescing in the village after an airplane accident, and he has very little contact with Jane Marple. We just get to hear how she solved the mystery after the fact, almost as if she was put in as an afterthought to correct the police. Detection while knitting. It's a great job if you can get it! :-) Despite the stretch to call this a "Miss Marple Mystery", it was a very, very enjoyable read.



11 comments:

zetor said...

Lezlie, have you read 'Sparkling Cyanide', by Agatha C? Loved that book , read it years ago.

Michele said...

Miss Marple is my favorite by far. And I seem to remember how she didn't feature too much into this one. But like you, I still loved this mystery!

Eva said...

Totally second you on this one!!

Lezlie said...

Zetor ~ I haven't gotten to that one yet. I'll keep an eye out for it when I'm ready for more after this Challenge!

Michele ~ I was funny how she was pretty much not in there at all. Very odd!

Eva ~ It was a really nice surprise, since I wasn't as fond of the last couple Christie's I read for this Challenge.

Lezlie

Tasha said...

Didn't BBC do a Miss Marple series? I think I used to watch the program, but I've never read the books. I'd love to.

Ruth King said...

I love, love, love The Moving Finger. It's one of my favorite Christie novels.

Lezlie said...

Charley ~ They did! And Peter remembers seeing this particular story on there. He said it was done very well!

Bookish Ruth ~ It is definitely memorable! I tend to like best the ones that are told in first person, regardless of who the person telling the story is.

Lezlie

joanna said...

You're really flying through the Agatha Christie mysteries, aren't you! :-)

Lezlie said...

Joanna ~ I am! I think I have two left to go. Then I can officially start thinking about the 2009 Challenges. Yay!

Lezlie

The Bookworm said...

Great review! I'm a fan of Agatha Christie.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Lezlie said...

Naida ~ She is, hands down, one of the very best, that's for sure.

Lezlie