NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Friday, July 18, 2008

THE BROKEN WINDOW

by Jeffery Deaver



When his long-estranged cousin, Arthur, is arrested for a murder he did not commit, quadriplegic forensic genius Lincoln Rhyme and his partner Amelia Sachs are plunged into the Big Brother world of information collection and data mining to prove not only Arthur's innocence, but that of a number of other wrongly-convicted citizens. And while they work, an identity-thieving serial killer continues his "transactions".

If The Broken Window, the eighth Lincoln Rhyme novel, doesn't make you want to pay cash for every single thing you ever buy and never lay hands on a computer keyboard again, I don't know what will. The feeling is just like when I read Thomas Harris' Red Dragon and swore I would never again bring pictures in to be developed, because the killer worked at a photo lab and picked his victims from customers' photos. Thankfully, digital cameras have eliminated that particular paranoia. Now we have all new ones to worry about!

For me, Deaver's "Lincoln Rhyme" books run neck and neck with Kathy Reichs' "Temperance Brennan" series for my favorite forensic mysteries. Though "Rhyme" may have a slight advantage, because due to the movie of the first book, The Bone Collector, Amelia Sachs will forever be Angelina Jolie, and I loved her in that role. Denzel Washington as Lincoln Rhyme isn't a bad visual while you're reading either. :-)



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great review, but I could never get into Lincoln Rhyme. Strange considering I love thrillers. Feel bad about it too cause everyone else seems to love him. :(

BooksPlease said...

It seems I've been missing out - I haven't seen The Bone Collector or heard of the Lincoln Rhyme books. I must look out for them.

Have a great weekend.

Joy said...

I so need to read The Bone Collector. I've read a couple in the series (obviously out of order), but want to begin at the beginning.

alisonwonderland said...

i've been wanting to start this series. (in fact, i put it on my list for Joy's First in a Series Challenge for this year.) but i haven't gotten around to it yet...

i wasn't aware that there was a movie of The Bone Collector; i'll definitely have to check that out once i get the book read.

thanks for the review!

Lezlie said...

J. Kaye ~ Who is your favorite for forensic mysteries?

Books Please ~ I really love these. Let me know what you think if you have a chance to check them out!

Joy ~ I don't think you missed much by reading out of order. The Bone Collector, both book and movie, are great!

Alisonwonderland ~ They do change a few things in the movie, but I thought they did a nice job on it. Angelina and Denzel made a great team, and that's who I picture every time I read one of the books.

Kara said...

I have wanted to start this series for some time now - will have to get the first in the series and get started on it!!!