NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!


Saturday, August 8, 2009

Today's Purchases

We stopped at our local Barnes & Noble with some friends who live outside of the cities, and while I managed an hour-long browse at a different B&N yesterday without bringing anything home, today I didn't make it out without a couple I had never seen before:

Don't Know Much About Literature: What You Need to Know but Never Learned About Great Books and Authors is rather small and doesn't look like it contains much great information, but it's got some fun trivia questions on each page and I can't help but pick up books about books.

I spent many of my younger years as a waitress, so when I read this on the back of the book, "According to The Waiter, 80 percent of customers are nice people just looking for something to eat. The remaining 20 percent, however, are socially maladjusted psychopaths", I knew I had to have Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip--Confessions of a Cynical Waiter. That one line told me he knows of what he speaks. I can't wait to get to this one!! It looks like he has a blog, too: WaiterRant. I'm off to check it out right now . . .


Literary Feline said...

You deserved a reward for not buying anything yesterday. :-)

I've heard great things about Waiter Rant. I've never worked in the food service industry (unless you count my volunteer stint in the elementary school library when I was 11 or 12--which I don't), but I strongly believe in being respectful to wait staff.

Enjoy your books, Lezlie!

JoAnn said...

Such restraint...enjoy the books!

Serena said...

wow, only two books. You have some will power. Looks like you picked two good ones though.

Lezlie said...

Literary Feline ~ Thanks! I was talking to the girl checking me out at B&N about the book, and we both agreed that everyone should have to work a stint at food service and retail at least once in their life. They would have a whole new respect for those workers!!

JoAnn & Serena ~ It's not so much restraint or will power as it is visions of the piles I already have accumulated all over the place with no shelf space left. As soon as I get my reading challenges done, I have a project I'll be working on. Details coming soon, but I'll bet you can guess what it entails. :-)


Nan said...

The Waiter books sounds great. And I'm going to his blog right now. Thanks Lezlie - I knew nothing about this.

Lezlie said...

Nan ~ It was the first I had heard of him, too. I was thrilled to see I can use this one for the Dewey Decimal System Challenge, so I'll get to it sooner than I thought! Yippee!