NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Friday, April 11, 2008

GUEST REVIEW: THE HOLY

by Daniel Quinn

Since my reading has slowed to a snail's pace with everything else going on lately, I would like to introduce you all to my friend Gail, who sent me her review of Daniel Quinn's The Holy to help keep the "Books" part of "Books 'N Border Collies" on track.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present Gail . . .
(Insert wild applause here) :-)

_____________________



The story revolves around a man who wants to know what happened to the "false gods" of the Israelis, namely Baal, Moloch and their ilk. Why did the Jews reject the proven God of their fathers for the gods of their neighbors? I was electrified by the question, and began the book with high expectations.

It all reads like a nightmare thriller. The characters are thrown into situations only cooked up in dreams but with more detrimental consequences. The encountered beings play a bit fast and loose with their mortal counterparts, rather like earth-bound versions of Hera and Zeus, though we're asked to believe that they are neither malevolent nor benevolent. This forces the reader to view them in much the way we view God, beyond reproach for their superior understanding of our good. I also found the convoluted nature of the action often overshadowed character development which can leave motivation in question. I wanted to follow this book like it was a great revelation, but ultimately, I felt a bit betrayed by my own naiveté. I will say this, I could barely put it down as it was a constant romp of action and imagination.

The real mystery is "Who is Daniel Quinn?" I felt like he really did want to lead me somewhere and apparently he does. After a quick internet search I found he is an animist, espousing a world view not unlike an evangelist. He believes that all life has a soul of some kind and that people are destroying the world by feeding the hungry - people who, by rights, are not sustainable. This is a very meager view of his message, but it did pull me back from taking his novel as a beacon of light. In the end I didn't feel that the question initially asked was answered. All I can find is that the false gods are as mysterious in their ways as God and the Bible. Daniel Quinn, therefore, is not my prophet. The search continues.

Note from Gail: I welcome the comments of anyone who's read this book or any other by Mr. Quinn. He's definitely a thought-provoker.


Other books by Daniel Quinn:

No comments: