NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Monday, July 14, 2008

MISTRESS OF THE REVOLUTION

Catherine Delors



As Gabrielle de Montserrat, a French aristocrat, pens her memoir, the reader gets not only the anticipated up-close-and-personal view of the French Revolution, but also grim reminders of the lack of control women had over their lives, even in, or possibly especially in, the upper echelons of society.

First, I'd like to thank Eva of A Striped Armchair for recommending Mistress of the Revolution. It turned out to be everything it was promised to be. I initially thought the first half was moving too slowly. I was anxious to get to the revolt. (I apparently get blood thirsty on occasion.) In reality, I was frustrated by the treatment of Gabrielle by her family, her men, her life. Gabrielle is a highly intelligent and emotionally tough woman. Her inability to direct her own future is not due to any defect on her behalf. It drove me crazy to watch her be forced to submit to the whims of those in power. However, it was her perseverance through her early life that made credible her survival during a time when her peers were being slaughtered by the thousands under the blade of La Guillotine.

Coincidentally, I am posting this review on Bastille Day, a French national holiday. According to Wikipedia, "It commemorates the 1790 Fête de la Fédération, held on the first anniversary of the storming of the Bastille on 14 July 1789; the anniversary of the storming of the Bastille was seen as a symbol of the uprising of the modern French nation, and of the reconciliation of all the French inside the constitutional monarchy which preceded the First Republic, during the French Revolution."

I learn something new every day!



For more information on Cataherine Delors and her work see her Official Web Site.

Other reviews of this book:

Eva at A Striped Armchair

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this book a few months ago and fell in love with the author's writing. I can't wait for her next book!

Darlene said...

I've noticed this novel in the bookstore many times but didn't pick it up for some reason. Your review has prompted me to take a closer look. It sounds like a fascinating novel. Thanks for yet another addition to my TBR shelf. lol.

Lezlie said...

J. Kaye ~ I agree. I've already been out snooping to see if I can find any rumors about her next book. Nothing so far. :-(

Dar ~ Glad to be of assistance! ;-)

Lezlie

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, Lezlie, for this great review! And what better time than Bastille Day.

Now, you will be happy to hear that my second book, tentatively titled _For the King_ is completed, and that I am working on my third one.

The publication date for Book 2 is 2009, nothing more specific yet. For more info, see this post on my blog:
http://blog.catherinedelors.com/2008/04/04/my-second-novel-for-the-king.aspx

Andi said...

I think the only book I've ever read that dealt with The French Revolution was A Tale of Two Cities. I think it might be time to remedy that! Recs from you AND Eva...that's too good to pass up!

Lezlie said...

Catherine ~ Thank you so much for visiting! And I am very glad to hear the news about forthcoming books! I'm on my way to check out the posting right now. . .

Andi ~ I *loved* A Tale of Two Cities. It has definitely sparked a huge interest in the French Revolution for me!

Lezlie

Eva said...

Yay! I'm glad you liked it. :)

Lezlie said...

Eva ~ Did you see Catherine linked both of our reviews to her blog? Fun! :-)

Lezlie

Teddy Rose said...

Wonderful review Lezlie! I added this to Mt. TBR.

Lezlie said...

Teddy Rose ~ You won't be disappointed! :-)

L.