NOTICE: (Updated March 5, 2010)

Beginning December 19, 2009, Books 'N Border Collies will be posting but only intermittently while I pursue personal goals. I plan to share some reading I'm doing, but there will be no reviews. I will, however, be sharing my exploration of vegetarian cooking and the cookbooks and websites I use to educate myself. I hope you enjoy it!

Lezlie



Friday, March 14, 2008

Non-Fiction Five Challenge




Just the other day I was mulling over my reading list for the year and thinking that I was woefully short of any non-fiction. And along comes Joy with another challenge! I told her she was bad for me, but I meant it in the most "thank you, thank you, thank you for giving me an excuse to join yet another challenge" way! :-)

Here are the rules:


1. Read 5 non-fiction books during the months of May - September, 2008

2. Read at least one non-fiction book that is different from your other choices (i.e.: 4 memoirs and 1 self-help)

3. All choices need not be posted and may change at any time.

I can do that! Right? What's another 5 books? And I need a change from fiction every now and then. I am posting my list of potential candidates and here it is:

***FINISHED***
Completed: 5/5 as of August 28, 2008

1. John Adams by David McCullough
2. His Excellency: George Washington by Joseph J. Ellis
3. Homo Politicus by Dana Milbank
4. When Will Jesus Bring The Pork Chops? by George Carlin
5. When You Are Engulfed In Flames by David Sedaris


Alternates:

The Know-It-All by A.J. Jacobs
Great Books by David Denby
How To Think About The Great Ideas by Mortimer Adler
The Spartans by Paul Cartledge
The Murder Trials by Cicero
Essays by Plutarch
The Persian Expedition by Xenophon
Can I Keep The Jersey by Paul Shirley

Yup. I've got to give serious consideration to hosting that "Finish Your Challenges From Last Year" Challenge next year . . . :-)

If you'd like to join in, get all the info you need here.

Good luck, Everyone!
Lezlie

2 comments:

Joy said...

Hooray! Glad to see you have joined us for the NFF Challenge! I have perused THE KNOW IT ALL, but other than that, I'm not familiar with your choices. I hope you enjoy them all! :)

Lezlie said...

Joy ~ It's an odd list, I admit, but I have sooooo much stuff around here! I get on tears with topics, then swich before I've read everything I bought for the last one. This gives me a reason to pick up some of the books I really wanted to get to but got distracted. :-)

L.